Confluence on PostgreSQL, what collation is recommended?

VLADIMIR_MURAVLEV February 27, 2018

Article named "Database Setup for PostgreSQL" says that collation must be set no other than "UTF8".
Quote: "Collation must also be set to utf8. Other collations, such as "C", are known to cause issues with Confluence. "
This collation is possible to set up for PostgreSQL running on Linux, but this value is not supported on Windows.
Available values are: C, POSIX, English_United States.1252
Which one is recommended value for Confluence?

What is risk using one of these available values?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2018

Hi Vladimir,

According to Postgres:

UTF-8 encoding can be used with any locale.

In addition, I reviewed this blog post, Locale in Windows, and it appears that you should be able to use English_United States.1252

I was also able to confirm this by reviewing some of our past support tickets, so please give that a try, and let me know if you have any trouble!

Regards,

Shannon

VLADIMIR_MURAVLEV February 28, 2018

Thank you Shannon.

I configured database using Collation English_United States.1252 and restored backup (migrated from Oracle). No apparent  problems so far.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2018

Glad to hear, Vladimir! If you run into anything do let us know.

Shannon

Deswik IT January 9, 2019

Can this doco be updated to reflect the above advise please https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-setup-for-postgresql-173244522.html 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2019

Thank you for bringing this up, David. I'd like to see this clarified for future users, since I've now seen this question a few more times since I responded on this thread.

I've raised the documentation request below:

Please feel free to comment on the thread as well as vote on it. 

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Shannon

Timothee Howland February 15, 2019

Another customer has wasted his time on this due to the documentation not being updated.

Like ludek-fedurca-onlio likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events