Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence not starting after upgrade to 6.11

ortoscale August 21, 2018

I've upgraded confluence from 6.3.2 to 6.11. I've alse upgraded postgres after upgrade, previous version was 9.2 now it's 9.6. Jira is working fine with new postgres so i assume DB upgrade was ok. Problem is I don't see any particular error in catalina.out and there is nothing in a atlassian-confluence.log , since startup doesnt get that far.

I'm getting this when trying to browse to confluence url

HTTP Status 404 – Not Found

Type Status Report

Message /

Description The origin server did not find a current representation for the target resource or is not willing to disclose that one exists.

Apache Tomcat/9.0.10

2 answers

2 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2018

Hello Matjaz! It seems that you have a system outtage in hands.
The first thing I would check is if the Confluence service is indeed running. For Linux, you can use the following command:

ps -aux | grep confluence

This will show you if Confluence has a process in your system. In Windows you can use the Task Manager to check this. Also, make sure that the older version is not running at the same time. If the process is not running check if your user has enough permissions in <confluence-home> and <confluence-install>.

Further, you can go ahead and check if your server.xml file has the correct settings, should be the same as your pre-upgrade settings. You can find your server.xml file here:

<confluence-install>/conf/server.xml

Also, I advise you to clear your plugin cache before trying to start your upgraded version:

1 Shutdown Confluence
    - Make sure that the process is not running
    - You can check that with ps -aux | grep confluence in linux and via the Process   manager in Windows
2 Go to <confluence-home>
3 Remove the following folders:
    - <confluence-home>/bundled-plugins
    - <confluence-home>/plugins-cache
    - <confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache
    - <confluence-home>/plugins-temp
    - <confluence-home>/bundled-plugins_language
    - <confluence-home>/index
    - <confluence-home>/journal
4 Check permissions for <confluence-home>
    - The user running Confluence must have *full read/write/execute permission on this folder
    - You can use the following commands to set this. Keep in mind that the user confluence here is just a placeholder, you must use the user that exists in your system
    - sudo chown -R confluence:confluence /path/to/<confluence-home>
    - chmod -R u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx /path/to/<confluence-home>
5 Check permissions for <confluence-install>
    - The user running Confluence must have *full read/write/execute permission on this folder
    - You can use the following commands to set this. Keep in mind that the user confluence here is just a placeholder, you must use the user that exists in your system
    - sudo chown -R confluence:confluence /path/to/<confluence-install>
    - chmod -R u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx /path/to/<confluence-install>
6 Start Confluence
7 Check if the instance starts

Reference

Confluence Installation Guide
Installing Confluence on Windows
Installing Confluence on Linux

Hope this helps your case!

Siddarth Murthy January 28, 2019

@ortoscale I am facing a similar issue after postgres db and confluence upgrade. Were you able to resolve this?

Venkat Pragallapati May 6, 2019

@Siddarth Murthy  @ortoscale  I'm also facing the same issue.  How did you resolve it?

Chandra Sekhar pydi RAJU boni December 22, 2021

@Siddarth Murthy 

i too facing the same issue when i upgraded the db version from mssql 12 to mssql 16.

How you fixed this?

Please help us.

Thanks

Chandra

1 vote
jc21com August 21, 2019

For those using Docker version of confluence, I encountered this problem after upgrading to a newer image. The problem was that the mounted confluence data folder was previously owned by user id 1, but they changed the docker image somewhere so that the binary runs as user 2002. So the fix is to change the owner (and possibly the group) to 2002 recursively for the mounted confluence data folder, then restart.

chown -R 2002:2002 path/to/data/confluence

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events