Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence logged in and unlicensed users cannot see pages

fran.quintero November 26, 2020

Hi all!

My problem is that some logged in (active) users, with no Confluence license, cannot view pages.

I want to give "view" access to a group of users, that group has a mix of licensed and lots of non-licensed users. And I want to maintain that licensing as is, so no more licenses.

I did all this:

1. Global permissions for the whole site have the "Use Confluence" checked (so, can use) for the "Unlicensed Access" section.
  2. On the specific space that is needed access --> Permission tab, I cannot add individual, non-licensed users, only licensed ones. So I cannot do it this way.
  3. I tried also with a group, still to no avail.
  4. I activated Anonymous users to view and can use Confluence, but that is not the solution (this is for the rest of non-logged in users).

Any ideas?

P.S.: I've seen there is a section in Global Permission called "Unlicensed Access" but I presume this is for Jira Service Desk customers, only?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2020

In the Global Permissions, there are two things to look for.

Unlicenced users is the permission to see spaces if they are logged into a system that uses Confluence for some reason (this pretty much means Jira Service Desk at the moment - "customers" for JSD get access to Confluence Knowledge-Base spaces this way)

Anonymous access is for letting people who are not logged into anything in.   If you enable that, the whole world can see your Confluence without even having an account of any sort.  But you also need to enable it in the space permissions for each space.

Note that because "anonymous" users are not logged in, there is no way to apply groups to them.  You don't know who they are, so there's no way to group them.

fran.quintero November 27, 2020

Yup, I guessed that "Unlicensed users" in Global Permissions (Administration menu) is only for Jira Service Desk + Confluence, not Jira Software + Confluence.

Is not that clear in the explanation message for "Unlicensed users". If right now Jira Software isn't allowed to use this feature, maybe explaining that could be helpful.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your answer!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2020

I agree that it isn't clear!  It is to me, but I've been here for a long time and know what to expect.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events