Confluence install on RHEL 7 gets ERR_CONNECTION_RESET for bootstrap page

robert_w1_smith September 4, 2019

I have a vanilla install of Confluence 6.5 on a RHEL 7 server.  The install completes normally.  I am installing into a non-standard directory (/apps/atlassian).  The only obvious error is in atlassian-confluence.log and is:

2019-09-04 09:09:10,880 FATAL [localhost-startStop-3] [atlassian.spring.container.SpringContainerContext] getComponent Spring Application context has not been set

The file line of atlassian-confluence.log is:

2019-09-04 09:09:21,638 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] init Confluence is ready to serve

I found  the webpage about that error and tried the relevant fixes without any success.  Note - all of the permissions were correct.

Problem Symptoms:

When trying to reach the installation webpage http://a.b.c.d:8090 it redirects to http://a.b.c.d:8090/bootstrap/selectsetupstep.action

The problem is that the web browser says ERR_CONNECTION_RESET and will not load the bootstrap page.

I'm trying to install 6.5 as I'm trying to prepare for a move of an existing Windows Confluence server and will upgrade to the current version after the application is moved.  The way the servers at my org come provisioned applications must be installed under /apps.

Any help in fixing this will be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
robert_w1_smith September 4, 2019

I found the cause of the page resets and it was due to an internal firewall.  

Still don't know if the FATAL error in atlassian-confluence.log is something to worry about or not.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2019

Hey Robert,

Glad you were able to sort out the firewall issues.

The specific error you noted in the logs ("Spring Application context has not been set") is pretty common in Confluence log files. There are unfortunately a number of possible sources - we've got a KB article here describing the line and possible resolutions. If your Confluence instance seems to be working fine after patching up the firewall though, I wouldn't worry too much about the message.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events