Confluence groups and Active Directory (AD)

Kathryn Reddie May 3, 2017

Re : Confluence Groups

Hi Confluence gurus,

We use Confluence version 5.7 (Server), and are trying to upgrade to 6.1 in our DEV environment.  We use Active Directory (AD) for our groups.

One of our senior developers tried to access Confluence in DEV, and rec'd this error ...

“maximum number of expressions in a list is 1000 -- limits the number of elements in an Oracle IN predicate to 1000 entries.  However, the given parameter list [groups] contained 1103 entries, which will likely cause failures to execute the query in the database. “

We (Developers, Service Desk and BA's)  are going through and doing a group clean-up as they have gotten totally out of hand, however, I'd like to understand more about how Confluence and AD interact.

What I am trying to ascertain is:

1. Is there a workaround or quick fix for the error message above?
  2. What is the ideal size of groups for a user?
  3. How does Confluence read the groups from AD?
  4. Is there a way to group the AD groups into a parent and child relationship?
    1. As an example, we have 71 Media types, and each have an Edit and View group, so there are 142 groups associated with Media alone.
    2. Ideally, I would like to create a parent entitled Media and group the 142 rows under the parent.
      • Note: These were created to allow users to create, edit and view attachments in an 'in-house' application, while still allowing staff to filter and report on the different 'types'.  Eg. Mediaexampletype1 or Mediaexampletype2
  5. Would creating a parent/child relationship work, or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Kathryn.

1 answer

1 vote
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2017

As I recall you can enable paged result of the AD/ LDAP queries. I would try this setting in the LDAP configuration first. You could also try incremental synchronization, if possible in your environment Check documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/connecting-to-an-ldap-directory-229838241.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events