Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Confluence failed to start after upgrade

Hey there,

i've got Problems to start my confluence after upgrading from 8.13.0 to 8.14.1

The catalina.out log file tells me:

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.atlassian.hibernate.adapter.proxy.BytecodeProviderImpl_ImplementV2Proxy (file:/usr/confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/hibernate.adapter-1.0.3.jar) to field java.lang.reflect.Field.modifiers
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.atlassian.hibernate.adapter.proxy.BytecodeProviderImpl_ImplementV2Proxy
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.042 SCHWERWIEGEND [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal One or more Filters failed to start. Full details will be found in the appropriate container log file
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.043 SCHWERWIEGEND [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context [] startup failed due to previous errors
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.165 WARNUNG [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [com.mysql.jdbc.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.166 WARNUNG [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [com.mysql.fabric.jdbc.FabricMySQLDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.166 WARNUNG [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.166 WARNUNG [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [com.github.gquintana.metrics.sql.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.166 WARNUNG [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [org.h2.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.166 WARNUNG [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [org.postgresql.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.167 WARNUNG [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.167 WARNUNG [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.168 WARNUNG [Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [ROOT] appears to have started a thread named [mysql-cj-abandoned-connection-cleanup] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
java.base@11.0.8/java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
java.base@11.0.8/java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(Unknown Source)
com.mysql.jdbc.AbandonedConnectionCleanupThread.run(AbandonedConnectionCleanupThread.java:80)
java.base@11.0.8/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
java.base@11.0.8/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
java.base@11.0.8/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
26-Jan-2021 20:20:40.184 INFORMATION [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in [23447] milliseconds
26-Jan-2021 20:20:44.136 INFORMATION [mysql-cj-abandoned-connection-cleanup] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load []. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load []. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1385)
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.getResource(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1038)
at com.mysql.jdbc.AbandonedConnectionCleanupThread.checkThreadContextClassLoader(AbandonedConnectionCleanupThread.java:112)
at com.mysql.jdbc.AbandonedConnectionCleanupThread.run(AbandonedConnectionCleanupThread.java:79)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Can you please help?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Pavel Junek Community Leader Jan 26, 2021

Hi @Sascha Zänker,

You probably mistaken the version numbering for Jira and Confluence - Confluence is now in version 7.10.2. Version 8.14.1 fits me rather on Jira :)

Can you please attach the last extract from atlassian-confluence.log here? What DB do you use and what OS? Do you have Apache / NGINX before Confluence? Do you use SSL?

Thank you

Pavel

Hi @Pavel Junek 

Oh i did sorry^^

Well then i've got the 7.10.2 and before it was 7.8.0 i think. 

Can you tell me where to find these Log File? I already searched for it but dont find some interesting Log Files. Im using MariaDB 10.5 (i know its not supported but it workes very well until today) and my OS is Debian 10 Buster. I also use Apache2 as ReverseProxy in Front of confluence and my Apache is also working fine with SSL with my other Stuff.

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jan 27, 2021

The application log (atlassian-confluence.log) could also be interesting, please refer to Working with Confluence logs in order to identify the place where they reside on your disk.

Which database driver (JDBC) did you download/use for the database connection - which version number?

Like Pavel Junek likes this

Hi @Daniel Ebers 

I will Check the logs Files soon as possible. 

My JDBC Driver got the Version 5.1.49.

Well i found it. Seems to be a Database Error. I only post the last 30 Lines hope this is enoght:

at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeLocalJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:402)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeQueuedJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:380)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:66)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeNextJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:60)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.run(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:35)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: Failed to update database schema
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.store.jpa.impl.LiquibaseSchemaUpgrader.upgrade(LiquibaseSchemaUpgrader.java:35)
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.store.jpa.impl.DefaultSessionFactorySupplier.buildSessionFactory(DefaultSessionFactorySupplier.java:70)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.Lazy$Strong.create(Lazy.java:85)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$Sync.run(LazyReference.java:325)at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:143)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.store.jpa.impl.DefaultSessionFactorySupplier.get(DefaultSessionFactorySupplier.java:65)
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.store.jpa.impl.DefaultSessionFactorySupplier.get(DefaultSessionFactorySupplier.java:40)
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.store.jpa.impl.DefaultPluginTransactionTemplate.on(DefaultPluginTransactionTemplate.java:29)
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.store.tx.PluginTransactionTemplate.read(PluginTransactionTemplate.java:16)
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.service.impl.DefaultStatisticsService.loadSpaceStatistics(DefaultStatisticsService.java:138)
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.service.impl.DefaultStatisticsService.calculateServerStats(DefaultStatisticsService.java:167)
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.service.impl.SingleJobExecutor.lambda$execute$0(SingleJobExecutor.java:33)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)... 1 more
Caused by: liquibase.exception.LockException: Could not acquire change log lock. Currently locked by 172.17.0.1 (172.17.0.1) since 26.02.19 14:04
at liquibase.lockservice.StandardLockService.waitForLock(StandardLockService.java:230)
at liquibase.Liquibase.update(Liquibase.java:184)
at liquibase.Liquibase.update(Liquibase.java:179)
at com.atlassian.migration.agent.store.jpa.impl.LiquibaseSchemaUpgrader.upgrade(LiquibaseSchemaUpgrader.java:30)
... 16 more

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jan 27, 2021

Is there any chance something else is having an open connection to DB?

Like Sascha Zänker likes this

Well i dont know why but after i stopped jira and then started confluence again everything seems to be fine. 

Like Pavel Junek likes this
Pavel Junek Community Leader Jan 28, 2021

Great, thanks for the info :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence Mythbusters: Does Atlassian even use Confluence?

Hi, Confluence collaborators! As part of #Confluence-Collaboratory month, we’ve created a very special Mythsbusters segment, where we're dive into an interesting myth and uncover the truth behind i...

1,707 views 7 32
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you