Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence equivalent to Jira's Application access page?

Eric April 6, 2017

Jira has a nice feature, where in the Applications -> Application access page, I can assign specific Active Directory groups that can have access to Jira. So even though I'm pointing to an OU with lots of users, only those who are in the JiraUsers group will count aginst my user license seats.

This doesn't seem to exist in Confluence? If I point Confluence to the same Users OU as Jira, ALL those users get access to Confluence, and I go over my user license limit. Not all the users in that OU should have access to Confluence, so I have to move them to another OU, which is really annoying when I should just be able to assign access with a .

Is there a way to pick which users shoud use Confluence user licenses based on an AD group?

I did assign Global Permission to the ConfluenceUsers AD group, but any user that gets added to the Users OU is getting added in my user license count.

1 answer

1 vote
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2017

Hello Eric,

A similar page to JIRA's Applications page isn't there, but you can get an idea and limit the scope of the licensed Confluence users on the Global Permissions page. There, you can see which groups have the "can use" permission. The sum of the members of these groups is the number of licensed users. In this area, I would remove confluence-users from the "can use" permission or remove your active directory users from this group. I only use confluence-users for accounts stored in the Local Directory.

You should also review your Active Directory configuration. In my organization, I have one master group, and each of the divisions has a seprate nested group (make sure "Enable Nested Groups" is checked). I then add the Master group to the global permissions page with "can use" permissions.

Another advantage of this is that you can use the nested groups for individual space permissions if you don't want everyone to see everything, and you can also delegate user adding/removing to certain people in your organization by giving them permission to the right divisonal AD groups.

Group Hierarchy.png

I also use the following example settings for these directory fields:

Ldap Permissions: Read Only, with Local Groups

Default Group Memberships: <BLANK, DO NOT USE>

Base DN: OU=TopLevel,DC=domain,DC=com

Enable Nested Groups: <checked>

User Object Filter: (&(objectClass=person)(memberOf:1.2.840.113556.1.4.1941:=CN=ConfluenceMaster,OU=Groups,OU=TopLevel,DC=domain,DC=com))

Group Object Filter: (&(objectCategory=Group)(|(sAMAccountName=ConfluenceMaster)(memberOf=CN=ConfluenceMaster,OU=Groups,OU=TopLevel,DC=domain,DC=com)))

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events