Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence: email notifications about mentions by onDemand

Heinz Roth October 21, 2012

Hello,

when you mention someone with "@someone" on Confluence, this person is supposed to be notified via email. This works for me but not for some other colleagues which receive an email with the content below.

In the administration area, you can change some email settings in the JIRA section but not for Confluence. Is there anything I missed?

Thanks in advance, Heinz

-

This is the mail system at host REPLACED.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to
one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own
text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<someone@somecompany.com>: host mail.somecompany.com[1.2.3.4] said: 553
<someoneelse@somecompany.com>: Sender address rejected: not logged in (in reply
to
RCPT TO command)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2012

Hi Heinz,

Please bear in mind that OnDemand platform comes with internal SMTP configured as per the Restricted Function. Perhaps the mail can't be reach at that time for those users, perhaps the email address was input wrongly or something wrong with the configuration of mail address of those users.

Heinz Roth October 28, 2012

The email addresses were correct and strangly this was only a problem when certain users used a @mention. It worked fine for me when mentioning the same users.

Anyway, without changing anything the problem hasn't occurred within a few days now and I guess it may be a problem of some sort with the email server communication.

Thanks for your suggestions!

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2012

Hi Heinz,

From the problem you are describing it sounds like that the users experiencing this issuehave not configured their notifications correctly in their profiles, as described in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Subscribing+to+Email+Notifications+of+Updates+to+Confluence+Content

All the best,
John

Heinz Roth October 21, 2012

I tend to disagree.

The problem is not that notifications are not being sent because of misconfigured subscriptions. The problem is that an email configuration error results in an error email back to the editor of the page.

The part which talks about email configuration in the link you provided does not apply to Confluence OnDemand: "To enable Confluence to send email notifications, a System Administrator must configure an email server. See Configuring a Server for Outgoing Mail. Not applicable to Confluence OnDemand."

Thanks, Heinz

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events