Confluence display document image with a caption?

HH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2017

Is there a way to upload a file within confluence, display it as an image but have a caption display underneath it? 

I know I could do it manually by setting up a 2x2 table and inserting the document in to once cell, and then the caption with a link to the document in the other. But it feels like duplicated effort. 

I want to have a page in confluence for shared team documents. So there will be a lot listed. The images look the nicest, but I'm thinking on a page with 20 or 30 documents it could become hard to navigate!

Has anyone else had this problem? Or something similar! Any suggested work arounds would be appreciated! 

1 answer

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2017

Hi Hollie,

There's a feature request for captions, since it's not a built-in Confluence feature yet:

Please vote on the case in order to show the popularity of such a feature, comment your use case, and watch it in order to be updated of any progress.

If you're on Confluence server, you may be able to make use of one of these Marketplace add-ons to include captions on your images.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Leon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 20, 2020

I am flabbergasted that image captions are not a core part of this documentation software.

Like # people like this
Aram Andriesian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 19, 2020

For real, 15 years later, 300+ votes on the issue... so basic

Like # people like this
mike @ mindbridge September 17, 2020

Confluence, you continue to amaze me.  I am trying to imagine a use-case for including images on a page without being able to add a caption.  I can't.

Confluence you do know that people recommend other products here in your forum simply because they offer standard features.  Not more, not better, just the features that are expected.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Worosylo October 4, 2020

Yeah, I'm continually amazed at what is NOT part of confluence.  Standard things, like being able to stop and continue a numbered list, caption images, figures, and tables, provide a summary table of all comments in a site, etc.  Its as if they never actually used a word processing application before in their lives and we should be happy at how limited their offering is.  Sad, really. I've turned off numerous customers from Confluence due to these limitations so I hope that is what they're looking for.....

Like # people like this
Lars Thomsen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 6, 2020

Captions are a standard way used for reference in any documentation, please add this functionality

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events