Confluence complaining about wrong collations

Michel Sperlich September 21, 2017

Hello everyone,

Confluence wont start up because it "detected tables with non-default collation" and is referring to a knowledgebase article which tells me to change collations of both: the database and the tables to utf8_bin.

I did this and checked afterwards, if any table still has another collation than utf8_bin using this MySQL command:

SELECT CONCAT('ALTER TABLE ', table_name, ' CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin;')
FROM information_schema.TABLES AS T, information_schema.`COLLATION_CHARACTER_SET_APPLICABILITY` AS C
WHERE C.collation_name = T.table_collation
AND T.table_schema = 'yourDB'
AND
(
C.CHARACTER_SET_NAME != 'utf8'
OR
C.COLLATION_NAME != 'utf8_bin'
);

MySQL returned no data so everything should be fine there.

So how can I find out what is causing the problem and how can I fix it?

We're running Confluence on MariaDB and didn't have any problems with it on earlier installations.

Jira Software and Servicedesk are running but are also warning us, that the collation should be changed to utf8_bin (I ran the above command against those databases and got no data returned, too) 

Is it worth a try, to flush the database and let Confluence create its data again?

EDIT: Jira is telling me, that the collation is still "utf8_general_ci" which is certainly false output.

1 answer

0 votes
Michel Sperlich September 21, 2017

Another Edit: 

After restarting database services Jira had no complaints anymore. Confluence still wont start up due the same reason.

With best regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events