cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence command line interface tokens not working

Ken Poulton December 17, 2012

I can't get login tokens to work.

>> confluence --action login --user poulton --password mypass

successfully returns a token Er9NXZafyy . But then I can't do actions with that token:

>> confluence --action getSpaceList --login Er9NXZafyy
Error: Parameter 'password' is required.

>> confluence --action getSpaceList --loginFromStandardInput < junk.l
Error: Parameter 'password' is required.

I'm using Confluence 3.5.6

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

Use --password "". It will be ignored if the action you are using does not require a password and a token is provided. The token only works for SOAP based actions and a password is still required for non-SOAP actions. For Confluence, almost all actions are SOAP based still.

Ken Poulton December 17, 2012

Okay, this works:

>> confluence --action getSpaceList --user poulton --password "" --login Er9NXZafyy

It seems like a bug to me that when --login is used it still requires a null --password. Even an error message that says this is required would address this.

There is a different bug in --loginFromStandardInput:

>> confluence --action login --user poulton --password mypass >junk.l
>> confluence --action getserverInfo --user poulton --password "" --loginFromStandardInput <junk.l

Remote error: com.atlassian.confluence.rpc.InvalidSessionException: User not authenticated or session expired. Call login() to open a new session

The problem turns out that it is expecting the DOS CR-LF in the file! When I run this command on Linux, text file lines have only LF on each line as God and Dennis Ritchie intended.

A workaround for Linux users:

>>confluence --action login --user poulton --password wikiwiki | sed 's/$/^M/' >junk.l

where "^M" is ctrl-M (a.k.a. CR).

It seems like the Linux version of the confluence(1) CLI binary ought not to be expecting CR-LF.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

Yes, its a bit of an oddity that I have choosen not to fix. Password was always required (for all clients) before token support was added and in 99.9% of cases it is a convenient way to prevent people from forgetting to use it. Token support is limited to the SOAP request and is for more advanced users, etc... Over time non-SOAP requests will dominate (JIRA especially and eventually Confluence), so just leaving it as is.

Regarding your other issue, I opened CSOAP-178

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events