Confluence as an Inventory System

Alison Kendrick December 11, 2011

This may seem pretty vague, but I have been asked to convert an inventory written in an Excel spreadsheet to Confluence and I need some ideas on how to do this. It needs the ability to manage and update the inventory, and also needs to include a search option. Is there any way to import a Microsoft Access database into Confluence?

Again, I know this is vague, but any ideas would be much appreciated.

3 answers

0 votes
Nicolas POUYMONBRAT February 3, 2013

Hi,

I'd like to come back to your suggestion, Niels, about integrating an inventory list in Jira. We're looking for an option for doing just that, but it seems that the appropriate plugin, Warehouse AutoMate, isn't supported for newer version for Jira anymore, so we'll have to think of some round-about way of doing it (developing our own plugin isn't an option since we don't have resources for that).

How would you suggest creating an inventory list in Jira, which would be linkable to issues and to the salesforce plugin?

Thanks,

Natalia

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2013

I've done some simple stuff similar to inventory management in Jira.

Essentially, each "asset" was created as an issue in a project. We had different issue types, leading to different fields. For example, the "server" issue type would have fields like memory, cpus, host name, and "disk array" would have disk-types, number of disks, and so on. There were common fields like serial number and business owner

They set up some simple workflows for them, like requisitioned -> under installation -> installed -> actively running -> planned decommission -> decommissioned. Links were immensely useful to draw up relationships between them, and Jira is very searchable if you're careful with fields.

Like Lennart Wolf likes this
0 votes
Alison Kendrick December 21, 2011

Unfortunately, JIRA is not an option. It has to be Confluence. I need an idea for how to search and manage hardware requirements and how to update/add to/ search.

0 votes
NielsJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2011

Hi Luxanais,

I would say that Confluence is pretty inadequate for that purpose. What about using JIRA? There you can filter adjustable, sortable lists what seems to be an important feature for an inventory system for me, isn't it?

Regards,
Niels

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events