Confluence access levels - editor vs viewer

Shane Burger May 5, 2021

We have a core group of staff who edit material in Confluence on a regular basis. We also have a larger number of users that are likely to just be consumers of this information - not active editors.

Is there a licensing approach, or access approach, that has us paying for editing/creating users, but not for staff who are just viewers of content? The only way I can see to make that work is to make pages public, and I would still like to restrict them to our domain users. Ideal scenario - all users are validated via SSO, but only a subset are edit users at a higher cost.

2 answers

0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 6, 2021

Hi @Shane Burger

My team's app Scroll Viewport might be helpful to you: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211636/scroll-viewport-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Scroll Viewport publishes your Confluence Content to a separate site. Currently, these sites are publicly accessable, but we're working on adding authentication functionality.

We've just implemented our first authentication functionality, which means people can only view the content if they use a generated key in the URL. This might not be ideal for your use case, but we're currently working on implementing OpenID and SAML authentication support.

https://help-cloud.k15t.com/scroll-viewport/Scroll-Viewport-Cloud-2021-05-03.13804634113.html

0 votes
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2021

Hi, @Shane Burger !

You are right, Confluence has only one licence-type. 

Here you can find FAQ about Confluence Licensing.

Or to make Confluence public...

Shane Burger May 5, 2021

Are there no extensions available that could help with this? Something to turn "public" access into an authenticated tier of user?

We're going to remain active Confluence users here within my team, but the lack of a middle-path per my original post will likely mean we use another platform for our internal wiki for the rest of the firm.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events