Confluence: Would it be possible to create a shortcut key for inserting symbols?

Rosalind November 6, 2013

Hi, I have a suggestion for a future release. As a technical writer, I use the en dash on a regular basis. Instead of having to go through the Insert\Symbols option, would it be possible to provide a shortcut key? (I have to say, I don't like the way Confluence encourages the incorrect use of hyphens.) Hope you can help, Regards,

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rosalind November 12, 2013

A double-hyphen plus space inserts the en dash; and a triple-hyphen plus space inserts an em dash.

Don Mitchell January 14, 2021

--- isn't working for me, -- does but I can't get emdash

Like Danna likes this
0 votes
Rosalind November 10, 2013

Hi Matthew, Thanks for the tip re using a double hyphen for an en dash. Simple and it works! I'll use that from now on.

0 votes
Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2013

In the meantime, you could create a very simple user macro that just inserts an em dash. You then won't have to change into the menu - if the macro name was "em", you just could type

text text text text text{em}text text text text.

However, the Confluence content won't look very "nice" in editing mode ... a fat macro icon will be displayed for all occurences of the em dash macro.

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

For the en-dash, doesn't typing a double hyphen plus a space insert one of these?

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2013

Rosalind,

I think you'd have to raise this as an enhancement with Atlassian directly.

I'm curious to know how Atlassian "encourages the incorrect use of hyphens.)" :)

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events