Confluence Widget Issue

CenturyX476 September 26, 2018

Hello,

I am trying to add a Widget to a page in confluence and attached a youtube link to it.

I Can preview it normally as you can see below

Preview.jpg

But when I try to add the Widget I get this error

Error.jpg

Here is the log file when it errors out.

It says the timeout is 5 seconds but no where in my settings for confluence is anything set to 5 seconds.

I am self hosted on my own boxes

Windows Server 2016 with a MSSQL back-end

How can I resolve this ?

Caused by: com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.XhtmlTimeoutException: Rendering this content exceeded the timeout of 5 seconds.
    at com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.XhtmlTimeoutException.forTimeout(XhtmlTimeoutException.java:21)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.DefaultConversionContext.checkTimeout(DefaultConversionContext.java:207)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.editor.macro.EditorMacroMarshaller.marshal(EditorMacroMarshaller.java:35)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.content.render.xhtml.editor.macro.DelegatingEditorMacroMarshaller.marshal(DelegatingEditorMacroMarshaller.java:28)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.content.render.xhtml.editor.macro.DelegatingEditorMacroMarshaller.marshal(DelegatingEditorMacroMarshaller.java:16)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.DefaultEditorFormatService.convertMacroDefinitionToEdit(DefaultEditorFormatService.java:93)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2219.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26)
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy232.convertMacroDefinitionToEdit(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2219.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.bridge.external.HostComponentFactoryBean$DynamicServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(HostComponentFactoryBean.java:136)
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy232.convertMacroDefinitionToEdit(Unknown Source)
    at com.atlassian.confluence.tinymceplugin.rest.MacroResource.generatePlaceHolder(MacroResource.java:161)

3 answers

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2018

Hi, Sivash.

Timeout issues can occur due to various reasons caused by various components like network, proxy, or other issues. By default, 5 seconds is sufficient for Widget Macro to just send an HTTP request to YouTube.

Wit that being said, there is a workaround to this issue which involves the steps to increase the the timeout. To do this, we have to add a system property to Confluence, which controls the timeout settings of Macros.

CATALINA_OPTS="-Dconfluence.macro.placeholder.timeoutMillis=<value> ${CATALINA_OPTS} 

Do have a look at the guide below that explains the steps to configure system properties in Confluence. For a start, try to increase to 10 seconds and let us know if you are still hitting into the issue.

CenturyX476 September 30, 2018

So I open "setenv.bat"

DO I leave the " at the beginning and is the 10000 value correct ?

set CATALINA_OPTS="-Dconfluence.macro.placeholder.timeoutMillis=10000 ${CATALINA_OPTS} 

Thanks

Or do I set it like this

set CATALINA_OPTS=-Dconfluence.macro.placeholder.timeoutMillis=10000 %CATALINA_OPTS%

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2018

Hi there, Sivash. 

Pardon me for the radio silence as I was away for a couple of days. It should be the first option. Can you please let me know how it goes on your end? 

CenturyX476 October 14, 2018

Hello,

I tried this

CATALINA_OPTS="-Dconfluence.macro.placeholder.timeoutMillis=10000 ${CATALINA_OPTS}

AND this

set CATALINA_OPTS="-Dconfluence.macro.placeholder.timeoutMillis=10000 ${CATALINA_OPTS}

Neither worked.

Its OK - it must be something else that is causing the timeout. I am using IIS as an SSL termination proxy. Perhaps that is some weird setting doing it that I am unaware of cannot fix.

Thanks for trying

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
October 15, 2018

Hello again, Siavash.

I just realized that the line I provided was incomplete as there was a missing double quotation at the end. Sorry about that. Can you please try this one and let me know if it helps?

set CATALINA_OPTS="-Dconfluence.macro.placeholder.timeoutMillis=10000" ${CATALINA_OPTS}

If it still does not help, I'll raise a support ticket to the Confluence team for further assistance. Thanks.

CenturyX476 October 21, 2018

Well I tried it

And it did not work.

The environment I setup appears to be a unicorn. SSL termination IIS proxy in the DMZ, multiple subnets, windows server running confluence.

I have figured out a work around for this. It is not pretty but it is what it is.

Thanks for the assistance

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
October 21, 2018

Hello, Siavash.

No worries. Do you mind sharing the solution here so that it can help other users who may run into the same problem too? That will be super great.

0 votes

Additional Info:

I'm using a Windows Proxy where SSL is terminated at the proxy.

I've updated confluence to the latest version and i'm still getting the same error.

0 votes
CenturyX476 September 27, 2018

Hello,

Anybody ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events