Confluence WAR: Moving MySQL database

Hi all. I'm using the WAR version of Confluence. I'm in the process of switching MySQL database servers from one server to another server. Has anyone done this? The directions at: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migrating+to+Another+Database, make it seem very complicated. I thought it would be a simple update a few files with the new server/database/login information. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

If you're only moving the database to a new location, then you simply need to point your Confluence application to that db location. There's 2 possible scenarios:

1. You use a direct jdbc connection to your mysql database.

Check the <confluence.home>/confluence.cfg.xml for the "hibernate.connection.url"

This is the location of your database. Update the url to reflect your new mysql server location

Also update the hibernate.connection.password and hibernate.connection.username if necessary

2. You use a datasource connection to your mysql database.

If this is the case, then the confluence.cfg.xml file will have a datasource location defined instead of the direct connection information. The datasource is defined in Tomcat's server.xml file. Since you've deployed the WAR version of Confluence, this means Tomcat is installed separately from Confluence. Your catalina_home should contain a conf folder with the server.xml file. Check the server.xml file for your Confluence datasource. This is where you'll update the mysql database connection information.

Thanks! This works.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,543 views 25 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you