Confluence Very Slow

Jahsie September 21, 2012

Hello,

We recently upgraded from 3.5.13 to 4.3.

Everything works, but it is really slow. We have upgraded all 4.x compatible plugins, disabled those that are not. We have also re-run both indexes. We upgraded the servers memory to 4.5 gb from 2.5, and assigned 1280mb to confluence's tomcat service. According to the system information page, we have ab out 40% of our heap memory, and 50% of our perm gen memory free.

But even the most basic pages are taking between 20-30 seconds to load. The performance on 3.5.13 was never this slow, is there something on the configuration end that we can do to improve performance?

Niles

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jahsie October 31, 2012

Helllo,

I wanted to loop back on this one. I opened a ticket with Atlassian (who are excellent by the way).

Basically: we use the Zen Foundation Plugin for our confluence instance, and there was a missing index in our db tables that was killing page load times (it was taking 25-30 seconds to load a page). The Zen plugin was contantly checking for new drafts instead of referncing an index. Finding each page with a draft only a couple of milliseconds, but added up across all the spaces we had.

Atlassian Response:

There seem to be several problems here, all of which are compounding and causing a high page load time:

• Confluence does not cache database calls when getting page drafts. I have attached a patch that I'd like you to try out that should resolve this particular issue.
  • The Zen Foundation plugin is calling findDraft a lot.
  • The database latency seems a little high. The startup logs claim it is 16ms. Is there something you can do so that the latency between the application server and database isn't so high? Ideally we'd like to see something in the 0-9ms range.
  • Can you run the following query to give us an idea of how many unsaved drafts you have?
    select count(*) from CONTENT where CONTENTTYPE='DRAFT' and DRAFTPAGEID='0'

They created a patch which I beleive will be in future version of Confluence that creates an index.

Niles

HuseinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2012

Just wanted to clarify the first point here so that in future other user could benefit from it. The patch was about caching database calls on getting page drafts, rather than creating an index. This is the bug report pertaining to that: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-26823 which has been fixed in Confluence 4.3.3. So the ultimate resolution is to upgrade your Confluence to 4.3.3 or higher.

Brendan Patterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

Hi, Did the patch provided by Atlassian solve the issue? Could you possibly point me at where to acquire the patch? Thank you!!

Brendan

1 vote
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2012

Hi, what is the size of your instance? Something is definitely not right here. Are there any errors in the logs?

Which version of Java are you using?

0 votes
Deleted user December 17, 2013

How many drafts were found in your case, causing the slowdown?

0 votes
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2012

Hi Niles,

Performance problems can be very tricky to troubleshoot, so if you already discarded lack of memory and the atlassian-confluence.log (<confluence-home>/logs) is not showing anything relevant (maybe database latency is high?) I suggest you open a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com so we can better assist you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events