Confluence User Password Reset

Justin Kyle Watson June 22, 2017

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Confluence and have inherited a system configure with Confluence 5.9.4.  I have several users who can not remember their passwords and I am trying to figure out how to reset them within confluence.  The email is not configured on this system so the link to "Forgot password" is not working on the login page.  Also I do not see any reset password options when I look at the user accounts. 

I originally thought this was set up to authenticate against our AD but that does not seem to be the case since the AD passwords do not work.  

Any help you could give a newbie on this would be appreciated. 

2 answers

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2017

What user directories do you have?

Find the user directories: (note the ID)

SELECT * FROM cwd_directory;

Find the user, and see what directoy_id he is in:

SELECT * FROM `confluencedb`.`cwd_user`

Cheers,

Lars

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2017

Hi Justin,

in general, you find the user administration here: 

http://<your-confluence-url>/admin/users/browseusers.action

or go to Administation -> Users

There you can search for your users wo can not remember their password. Click on the name will send you to that page:

http://<your-confluence-url>/admin/users/viewuser.action?username=<username>

There you have the option to change the password. There is a link under the user's detail information.

If you can't change the password, because it is retrieved from an external directory, you won't see that link.

Thanks for the reply.  That is the issue that I am having.  There is no link on http://<your-confluence-url>/admin/users/viewuser.action?username=<username>.  I have looked there before.  However, since I did not set this system up I have no idea what external directory they are pointing to for the passwords.  Since the AD passwords are not working I assume it is pointing somewhere else but I have no idea where.    Is there some way for me to see where Confluence is looking?  

Ok, I have found the AD account and everything looks fine with it but when I click on test settings I get the following error:

Test basic connection : Failed

arl.psu.edu:636; nested exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: arl.psu.edu:636 [Root exception is javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target]

I made sure the AD account did not expire and has a valid password.  
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2017

Ah, the cacerts in your JAV_HOME/jre/lib/security/ does not trust the certificate or the CA.

To solve the problem temporarily point the AD user directory from port 636 to 389.

Then of course, you should fix the ssl problem later on.

Perhaps the certificate/CA is imported into a different cacerts

-Lars

Lars,

Pointing the AD user directory to port 389 gets a different error:

Connection test failed. Response from the server:
arl.psu.edu:389; nested exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: arl.psu.edu:389 [Root exception is java.net.SocketException: Connection reset]

I am not sure what changed between last week and this week but something got messed up.    I guess the next step is to figure out how to regenerate the certificates so the trust is regained!.  

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2017

Either Java version has changed or the certificate on the ad server was renewed. (this can happen autonatically) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events