Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Upgrade Error

Matthew Graves June 7, 2019

Attempted to upgrade Confluence to the latest version and am now getting the following error when Confluence restarts:

Upgrade failed. Please consult the system logs for details. You will need to fix these problems, restore your database and confluence home directory to the pre upgrade state. Then retry the upgrade. Upgrade error message: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.attachmentceo.AttachmentToCeoConversionUpgradeTask@39217f39 failed during the SCHEMA_UPGRADE phase due to: StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [select a.ATTACHMENTID as ATTACHMENTID, a.ATTVERSION as ATTVERSION, a.PAGEID as PAGEID, a.PREVVER as PREVVER, p.SPACEID as SPACEID from ATTACHMENTS a inner join CONTENT c on c.CONTENTID = a.ATTACHMENTID left join CONTENT p on p.CONTENTID = a.PAGEID where c.CONTENTTYPE != 'ATTACHMENT']; nested exception is com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Invalid object name 'ATTACHMENTS'.

Please advise.

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2019

Hi,

a few questions:

* Is your MS SQL Server compatible with Confluence 6.15.4?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/supported-platforms-207488198.html#SupportedPlatforms-Databases

* What was the version you upgraded from?

Matthew Graves June 7, 2019

It is SQL Server 2014, which is on the list of compatible versions. Our previous Confluence version was 5.6.5

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2019

Hi,

I just tried to answer a similar question some days ago...

Upgrading on MS SQL from such an old version to the latest release in one step might or might not work as MS SQL is not the preferred database for Atlassian products.

I suggest upgrading to the latest 5 release (5.10.9) & if that was successful going for the 6.15.4 release. But it's just the way I would tackle this issue.

You might want to create a support call with Atlassian as long as you're not on a basic 10 user license.

Best

JP

Matthew Graves June 10, 2019

Hi JP,

Thanks for the reply. I had to same idea as you, to go to the latest 5.x version then from there to the latest 6.x version and this seems to have worked OK.

I think Atlassian might need to update their documentation as I followed the recommended path at https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upgrading-confluence-4578.html which says for versions 5.x and above to go straight to 6.x. Clearly this doesn't work for 5.6.5 for whatever reason.

Anyway, all working now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
Matthew

0 votes
Raj August 26, 2019

All,

I just went through a similar upgrade from v5.2.3 to v6.15 on Windows 2008 server. We were merging the 2 systems & had to first upgrade the older one to current release and then export/import the spaces into the other. But as JP suggested above, you definitely have to upgrade to v5.10.9 first. The SQL Server 2008 DB that was used in the v5.x release was setup with Collation = Case Insensitive(table names, index names, etc are case insensitive). In later releases of Confluence (release unknown), the Collation was changed to Case Sensitive. Unfortunately, the upgrade wizard in v6.x doesn't handle this Collation conversion or atleast it seems like it either missed it or doesn't work. We did this in a staging environment with Windows 2012 Server. We didn't touch the old v5.2.3 at all. Here are the steps we followed:

1.Copy v5.2.3 Installation and Home folders to staging server. Update confluence.cfg if needed.

2. Use SQL Server 2012 or later on staging server.

3. Restore database backup from v5.2.3 om staging server. This database used collation equal to Case Insensitive (CI). Create a new database alongside with new collation equal to Case Sensitive(CS). Copy data from restored database to this new database that has CS collation. Delete restored database. Make new database as default for user configured in confluence.cfg.xml.
3. Reboot server.
4. Run v5.10.9 upgrade wizard.  
5. Setup new Windows service as it uses Tomcat 8. If upgrade successful, test Confluence by making some document changes.
6. Reboot server.
7. Run v6.15.7 upgrade wizard.
8. Setup new Windows service as it uses Tomcat 9. If upgrade successful, test by making some document changes.
9. Export spaces.

10. Import them into the target Confluence system. 

11. Make v5.2.3 READ-only (confluence knowledge base available for this).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Raj

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events