Confluence Update from 3.5.7 to 4.0: Database mirgration fails

Dennis Bayer September 20, 2011

I tried to update to 4.0 but in several tries I always end up in a failure like this. The first try ended up in "Contraint already exits: Bandana ..." So I did a revert to the old installation. Try #2 and #3 ended in a migration issue too (every time a different one raised).

Is this a known issue? At the moment I cannot find a hint in the documentation.

[atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener] contextInitialized Upgrade failed, application will not start: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.ContentPermissionConstraintsUpgradeTask@6f4ea4a2 failed during the SCHEMA_UPGRADE phase due to: StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [alter table CONTENT_PERM alter column CPS_ID set not null, add constraint cp_unique_user unique (CPS_ID, CP_TYPE, USERNAME), add constraint cp_unique_group unique (CPS_ID, CP_TYPE, GROUPNAME)]; nested exception is org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FEHLER: Relation »cp_unique_user« existiert bereits

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Laskowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2011

There is a known issue for SQL Server that causes upgrades to fail due to some exisitng database constraints. The bug is outlined here:

CONF-23193

The provided SQL queries in the workaround should allow you to complete your upgrade:

alter table CONTENT_PERM drop constraint cp_unique_user;
  alter table CONTENT_PERM drop constraint cp_unique_group;

Since your upgrade failed, you'll still need to roll back to your backup before running the queries.

Hi,
executing the given commands solved the issue. Confluence 4 is running. :) thx.

Nevertheless I had to execute an additional command:

alter table CONTENT_PERM_SET drop constraint cps_unique_type;

0 votes
Mezzanotte November 3, 2011

I had this bandana problems too.

What solved my problem is:

1. Do an upgrade from 3.5.7 to 3.5.9

2. Run the SQLs

alter table CONTENT_PERM drop constraint cp_unique_user;
alter table CONTENT_PERM drop constraint cp_unique_group;
alter table CONTENT_PERM_SET drop constraint cps_unique_type;

3. Do the upgrade to 4.0

Regards,

Mezza

0 votes
Steffen Becker September 21, 2011

We're running into the same Problem upgrading from 3.5.9. After the first failure we thought it might be a good idea to upgrade to 3.5.13 first an then going to 4.0. But the error allready occures when trying to upgrade from 3.5.9 to 3.5.13.

I can post the full log if it helps as there are some more errors in the eventlog

Regards

Steffen

0 votes
HuseinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2011

That sounds you are hitting this new bug CONF-23248. The current workaround is to run the following SQL queries before you re-run the upgrade:

delete from CONTENT_PERM where CPS_ID is null;
delete from CONTENT_PERM_SET where CONTENT_ID is null;

Hi,
I tried these queries too, but postgress reported that none rows were affected. Thx anyways for the quick response. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events