• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Confluence Templates with variables

We currently use a Confluence Template, "Service Info", which documents some of the basic items we need to know to monitor services and provision the correct VMs for running these services. Essentially these templates are the basis of our service catalogue and enforce some formatting standards for the document.

Part of these documents we are using variable to ask what version of .NET Framework, or .NET Core a service relies on. The implementation when initially completing this document seems kludgy. There is one page where a user selects the correct value for the variables we have in the document, then they have to select "Next" at the bottom of the page and complete the text versions of these pages.

1. Is this how Confluence Templates are expected to function when a user fills one out?
  2. Is there a premade template I can and refine to use for this function? I don't see anything on https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/templates
  3. Maybe a blueprint for this function (service documentation) exists from a vendor that I haven't found? 

1 answer

0 votes
Diego Atlassian Team Dec 17, 2020

Hello @Casey Daniell!

I believe that, according to your description, you are dealing with a custom Blueprint that exists within your Confluence Server instance.

Blueprints are similar to templates but are more advanced in some ways. Using a blueprint would, for example, allow for User Interface input during page creation and even pre-populated page titles.

In your case, it seems that a blueprint has been created to satisfy a specific need of your organization. Blueprints can be developed to achieve a myriad of results, so I can not say that whoever developed yours, had this exact behavior in mind. You can take a better look at how to develop blueprints here:

For a more detailed explanation about blueprints, you can check here:

Your guts were right! You can surely look into our Marketplace for blueprints that might satisfy your needs:

[Atlassian Marketplace] Search – blueprint

I hope this helps!

Yea, we are using Templates for sure and not Blueprints. What I am seeing it like the "Step 2: Fill in template variables" image on https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/create-a-template-296093779.html

This seems odd from a users POV having to select answers for my variables on the first page, then proceed and answer additional questions. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Announcing Team Calendars in Confluence Data Center

Hi Community! We're thrilled to share that Team Calendars for Confluence is now a built-in feature for Confluence Data Center releases 7.11 and beyond.  A long time favorite,  Team Cale...

79 views 0 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you