Confluence Server install in Docker falure

Hi!

I try to install Confluence Server in Docker. I tried as official image and also unofficial one. Problem is the same - failure on database step.

Steps to reproduce:

* install container

* make port 8005 accessible outside the server nginx (I guess could be replaced to any other reverse-proxy server)

* Visit main page http://..../

* Choose Trial install

* Check Confluence QA and Calendar

* Enter Confluence trial license key

* Choose DB options: Direct JDBC, database credentials

* Press "Next"

* Pages starts to load, but process takes toooo long. Then HTTP timeout gets exhausted, so I see 504 error page.

* When I check database I can see tables created by confluence - so DB was well available to Confluence installer.

* Next I wait until CPU usage of Confluence container goes down.

* I try to reload the installation page in browser and get error (see below pls)

How can I install Confluence to Docker?

HTTP Status 500 - Unable to register MBean [com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.TaskQueueWrapper@1dc0b1c9] with key 'Confluence:name=MailTaskQueue'; nested exception is javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException: Confluence:name=MailTaskQueue

type Exception report

message Unable to register MBean [com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.TaskQueueWrapper@1dc0b1c9] with key 'Confluence:name=MailTaskQueue'; nested exception is javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException: Confluence:name=MailTaskQueue

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception
com.atlassian.config.ConfigurationException: Unable to register MBean [com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.TaskQueueWrapper@1dc0b1c9] with key 'Confluence:name=MailTaskQueue'; nested exception is javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException: Confluence:name=MailTaskQueue
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.AbstractSetupAction.transitionFromColdToVacantState(AbstractSetupAction.java:161)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.SetupStandardDatabaseAction.setupDatabase(SetupStandardDatabaseAction.java:46)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.AbstractDatabaseCreationAction.execute(AbstractDatabaseCreationAction.java:36)
..... skipped ..... The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/8.0.41 logs.

3 answers

0 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Apr 04, 2017

I found a knowledgebase article that addresses an error like the one you are reporting:

Unable to Start Confluence Due to JMX

The suggestion in the article is to disable the JMX registration process via a configuration file attached to the article.

Stop Confluence, Delete all files under 

<confluence-home>/bundled-plugins
<confluence-home>/plugins-cache
<confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache
<confluence-home>/plugins-temp
<confluence-home>/bundled-plugins_language

Make sure the user running Confluence has read/write permissions on the Confluence home directory.

Restart Confluence 

I had a similar error starting with a local persistant directory/my_local_path_to/confluence-home :  

docker run -v /my_local_path_to/confluence-home:/var/atlassian/application-data/confluence --name="confluence" -d -p 8090:8090 -p 8091:8091 atlassian/confluence-server

I noticed that the files in that directory were being created with a user/group that was different from the owner of the directory ('bin' in my case).

i resolved by:

docker stop confluence

docker rm confluence

\rm -R /my_local_path_to/confluence-home/*

chown -R bin:bin /my_local_path_to/confluence-home

docker run -v /my_local_path_to/confluence-home:/var/atlassian/application-data/confluence --name="confluence" -d -p 8090:8090 -p 8091:8091 atlassian/confluence-server

And it came up correctly.  Hope this helps

To add to the above

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

chown -R bin:bin <data folder> does solve the issue in this instance but that could change based on OS(guid).

Confluence Container user+id:

image.png

Host system user+id:

image.png

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 11, 2018 in Confluence

What are your project planning tips?

Hello Community,  Jessica here from the Confluence product marketing team! Today I wanted to get your takes on project planning –– what works, what doesn’t, how do you know if you’re doing it r...

367 views 2 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you