Confluence Server (evaluation) error

Clive Warner November 15, 2017

Trying to use Confluence server first time following install and load of key :

The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved from the container. Therefore very limited information is available in this error report.
The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved due to the following error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set

Cause

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
    at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)

caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
    at com.atlassian.spring.container.SpringContainerContext.getComponent(SpringContainerContext.java:48)

Stack Trace:[hide]

Referer URL

Unknown

2 answers

0 votes
Clive Warner November 16, 2017

Which files and Folders ?

Wrong User??

Hi Nic,

I am using an account called AGRAdmin which has full access on the Atlassian folder and sun folders (ie Confluence and Jira). ARe there some other permissions required?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

When you say Atlassian and sun, do you mean the Atlassian installation directory and the data directories for them?

As an example, my installs are:

• /opt/atlassian/confluence
  • /opt/atlassian/jira
  •  /data/confluence-home
  • /data/jira-home

First two are the installations, the second two are the "home" directories.  All four are owned by "charlie" who also runs the applications.

Is that the same permissions you've got with AGRAdmin?

Hi I have tried using the Local System account but that did not work so I tried AGRAdmin (as I sign on the  server user that ID) but I have reverted back to using the Local System Account - Any help would be gratefully received :) 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

Swapping accounts to run it with is a good way to cause the ownership to change.  Could you check the owners of the installation directories and data directories.

Sorted now thanks!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2017

The two most common causes of this problem are:

Some files and folders are owned by the wrong user (i.e. not the one running Confluence).  Check the ownership and access to the files.

The wrong version of Java is in use (If you've done a simple install of a more recent Confluence, it will be using its own version, distributed with it, so you won't have that problem)

This is a new install for evaluation purposes. Your response is a bit vague, can you let me know which 'files and folders' you are referring to, what you mean by the 'wrong user' and what I can do to remedy this?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2017

Yes, sorry, it was a bit vague.

You need to check all files and directories in the Confluence installation and data (home) directories.

For "wrong user" - everything on a server runs with a user profile.  That profile may well be a system owner or service account rather than what looks like a human user, but it's still a user.  Confluence is usually run with a dedicated account for it, one that runs nothing else.  You need to check who Confluence is running as and make sure all the files and directories are accessible to them (the easiest option is usually to make the account the owner of the files)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events