Confluence Security

Jason Rout April 14, 2014

Hi everyone,

I have a geographically spread team that is using Confluence for our workflow and process recording. Part of the job of the people is to login to various resources and perform certain actions.

My question is, is Confluence secure enough for me to store the credentials for these services? Are there specific ways of handling credentials that I should use in Confluence? Are there other products better suited to managing the credentials for a remote team?

Currently I keep the credentials locally with me and give them out as needed, but it is becoming a management issue, and I need a way where the right people can access what they need without my intervention.

Jason

1 answer

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2014

Personally, I would not use Confluence as a password management application. One of the reasons is that the passwords while they may not be acceisble from within the app to unathorized users the data stored in the database is stored in plain text. So, if your database if compomized in any way then there go yourpasswords along with it. I personally tell everyone in our organization that nothing sensitive should go in the wiki. If you need something for sharing passwords there are many products that are designed for this that have auditing built in to them and encrypt the data on the backend.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2014

If you are looking for something good for a small team check out KeePass. it is free and very secure. You could sync the db with dropbox or something like that.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events