Confluence SSL issues

tim wilkinson July 3, 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to get Confluence (CentOS6, Confluence 6.2) running over SSL (using https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/running-confluence-over-ssl-or-https-161203.html) and I'm having a difficult time getting it to work.

I've created the certificate, got a signed certificate back from our CA (which is an internal CA) and the keystore is in root home dir. I think I'm following the ncessary steps (having to import a root certificate and a subroot certificate from our CA otherwise it gives an error ('Failed to establish chain from reply').

I've run the commands and seemingly successfully imported the root, subroot and reply, configured server.xml and I thought I was getting somewhere when I was able to telnet into port 8443 but when I try to connect, the browser never loads the website properly (seems to open port 8443 in borwser but never loads the website - stays like this indeifintely - I've actually noticed this behaviour exists even if I don't import any certificates and configure server.xl for port 8443 only).

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - it seems like it should be a simple process but something is not right. Where should I start to sort this out? I was wondering if the keystore location being in root home might be an issue (apparnetly tomcat is expecting to be in the home of whatever user is running tomcat but I'm not sure how to determine that). It could also be something to do with imported certificate chain.

I'm also wondering if the version of keytool has any bearing - there appear to be multiple instances of keytool on the server (not sure if they are different or not).

Any other advice?

Cheers,

Tim

1 answer

0 votes
Jeff Clay July 3, 2017

Under linux, to find the user a process is running as use the command "ps aux". In this scenario you can run "ps aux | grep tomcat" and it will show only the process info for tomcat. I'm pretty new to Jira myself, so I can't comment on the other aspects of your issue but I'm pretty familiar with linux. And you're right, Jira usually runs under the "jira" user (unless you configured it differently) and the jira user doesn't have access to anything in /root. You'll probably need to move your keystore to /home/jira and make sure the file ownership is correct.

tim wilkinson July 3, 2017

Jeff - thanks for your reply. although I was doing Confluence rather than JIRA, you pointed me in completely the right direction. It seemed to all be about the keystore file and access to it.

I feel somewhat silly as I'd actually thought along those lines but hadn't tried moving it until your reply.

Thanks for your advice - I created a directory, changed permissions and moved the keystore there - this seemed to do the trick!

Jeff Clay July 3, 2017

Great! Glad that helped. Have you by chance done the db in ssl too? I'm having an issue of my own. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/How-do-you-specify-different-keystore-alias-for-mysql-ssl/qaq-p/604513#M200148

tim wilkinson July 5, 2017

Jeff - sorry - haven't tried that as yet.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events