Confluence: Restricting of 'adding' for users and goups

Chad Bell April 15, 2012

Hi,

I just was wondering, is there any prospect of increasing the user permissions in Confluence so that as well as being able to restrict users to only being able to view a page and/or edit a page, that per page you could set permissions to stop users from adding pages, comments and blogs? I know this can be done at a space level but I'm looking to do this for individual pages.

The reason for this is we would like to setup a page hierarchy so that pages can form some sort of data structure to form our knowledge base and we don't want any user being able to change this hierarchy by adding their own page hierachies unless a user with the appropriate privileges stipulate that at a particular level users can add their own pages.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2012

Hi there,

I finally able to find the necessary workaround to achieve your purpose. Please try the following steps to create a macro that would hide the add page button

1. Access your administration page
  2. Locate 'User Macro' button under 'General Configuration' section
  3. Create a new user macro
  4. Insert the Macro Name (e.g. addHide)
  5. Insert the Macro Title
  6. Choose 'RenderedL' under 'Definition of User Macro'
  7. Enter this following code on your 'Template'
<style>
#add-menu-link
{
display:none
}
</style>

After the above steps is complete you would need to install a free plugin from CustomWare name Visibility Plugin. This plugin would allow you to configure Confluence to hide a certain content from each page for certain users or groups. Please review the documentation for further detailed on the plugin.

After you have installed the mentioned plugin you could use the following steps to hide the add button for certain users or groups:

1. Edit a page you wish to restrict users to add a new child page
  2. Navigate to the bottom of the page
  3. Add "Show If" macro and configure the restriction
  4. Add the newly created user macor inside that macro
  5. Saved the page
  6. Voilà the add button page would be hidden for restricted users

The only drawback of the above steps is, user would still be able to add pages if they type the action address of add page manually.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Septa Cahyadiputra

Chad Bell April 16, 2012

Thanks for continuing to look into this for me much appreciated. I'll try it and see how we got. Thanks again.

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2012

My pleasure :).

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2012

Hi there,

As describe by you, Confluence have a space permission which control user permission to add pages and add comments into the mentioned space.

Confluence do have restriction on page level, however it is only for edit and view. Hence you won't be able to control the user permission to add pages on specific tree, however, if you restrict the users for not being able to view the page, he won't be able to add child pages into that page.

For more detailed information on this, please review this page:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Page+Restrictions

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Chad Bell April 15, 2012

Thanks for the prompt response. Yea restriciting the user from viewing the page would actually defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to accomplish. I want users to still be able to view the page and even view child pages but just not have the ability to add more child pages. Thanks anyway. For the time being I'll just have to implement some business rules and review process around this.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events