Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Plugin Install on Linux Host

Dev thadkapalli October 28, 2013

Currently We've a Linux Host without browser capabilities. How do I install a plugin in confluence?

I tired using my local machine, but the it hangs forever. Is there any way I can ftp the plugin to the host machine and configure in the DB. I am using HSQL DB and want to install Workflow and Content Expiry Plugin

3 answers

0 votes
Dev thadkapalli October 29, 2013

I downloaded the file locally and trying to upload

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2013

The server doesn't need a browser, and that wouldn't help anyway - the browser is hanging waiting for the server to complete, not because it's on a different machine.

The hanging could be anything - lack of memory, lack of CPU resources, problem in the configuration, or even a problem with HSQL. The most likely cause is lack of some resource - are you running it with plenty of memory and on a reasonably fast machine? If you are, then the next step is to look at the log file for problems.

Hi Nic,

First of all, I truly appreciate your quick response. THANK YOU.

I am confused liitle bit. If it does not browser on the server what is the other mechanism I should use to upload. The following post recommends browser availability.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=311919992

I checked catalina logs and found the following info.

Oct 25, 2013 10:18:33 AM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl _initiate
INFO: Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.8-atlassian-11 03/22/2013 05:02 PM'
Oct 25, 2013 10:18:33 AM com.sun.jersey.api.wadl.config.WadlGeneratorLoader loadWadlGenerator
INFO: Loading wadlGenerator com.sun.jersey.server.wadl.generators.WadlGeneratorApplicationDoc
Oct 25, 2013 10:18:33 AM com.sun.jersey.api.wadl.config.WadlGeneratorLoader loadWadlGenerator
Oct 25, 2013 10:19:04 AM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl _initiate
INFO: Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.8-atlassian-11 03/22/2013 05:02 PM'
Oct 25, 2013 10:19:05 AM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl _initiate
Oct 25, 2013 10:19:27 AM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl _initiate
Oct 25, 2013 10:19:30 AM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl _initiate

Thanks

Dev

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2013

A browser anywhere should work. Using the browser on the server only does one thing - rules out the network connection between the client and the server as being the problem. Since the UPM runs inside Confluence on the same server though, the only time the client-server network matters is when you are uploading a .jar or .obr file. If you're installing from the marketplace, that doesn't matter because it's the server going off to the internet to do the download, not your client.

So, the question is, are you loading from the marketplace? Or uploading a downloaded file?

I'm afraid your log just shows things loading, what we're looking for is warnings and errors as the plugin installation is started or running. Look closely at the times (I usually have the log tailed in real-time in one session while clicking the "install" button in another)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2013

I wouldn't attempt to do this manually.

You could try dropping the plugin .jar file directly into the "installed plugins" directory in the Confluence installation (it's beneath whereever you put "confluence home") and restarting, but that is risky and may not work properly.

You would be better off finding out and fixing why the UPM is failing.

As an aside, you really need to move to another database. HSQL is NOT suitable for production use and the fix I've suggested could easily destroy your system if it breaks. I'd forget about plugins until such a time as you've moved to a proper database, that's a far more urgent thing to do than install plugins.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your response. I am still in the process of evaluation. In production I would be using MYSql DB.

As a security policy, none of our linux machines come with browser, so the manual install is the only option. I did try using Universal Plugin Manger from my local machine, but it runs forever and hangs.

If you could suggest what might cause this behavior, I would appreciate it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events