Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Performance is very slow

Young__Hahn June 17, 2015

Hi

I am finalizing testing the Atlassian applications, and noticed that Confluence application's performance is bad.

The version is 5.8.4 which is the newest version..

JIRA, Stash, Crowd is working fine, there are some slowness here and there, but it is normal internet application problem.. 

However, Confluence is different story.. it works like normal application for few seconds or few minutes, and slow down like I don't want to use it anymore..  Even going into same space, some times it is normal speed but other times, I am just waiting and waiting for the page to load.. 

I did increased the RAM and CPU just for Confluence and set Confluence memory as highest as possible.. 

Also did some upgrade on DB.. but still nothing changed.. 

For example, when I click on "Confluence" once it took 2 seconds to load main page, few times it took 20seconds to load main page... average time is 12seconds.. which is not good at all..

Is it just me having this problem? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2015

Since Confluence 5.8.x was released, only JAVA 1.8 is supported. So, on JAVA 1.8 you don't have more the MaxPermSize parameter, from now you need to use MaxMetaspaceSize

Young, about the slowness, this might be caused for many factors. Please check the following:

1. If there's an antivirus running, please disable this for testing purposes
  2. Is this happening in other browsers as well?
  3. Are you using Confluence with a proxy? If so, try to by-pass the proxy.
  4. The Slowness still happen even if you try to access Confluence directly on the Confluence machine?
  5. Do you have any error message on <confluence-home>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log when you face the slowness?

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

Jim Bethancourt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2015

Specifying MaxMetaspaceSize will specify an upper limit of Metaspace utilization. If MaxMetaspaceSize is not specified, the JVM will use as much Metaspace as it needs

1 vote
Calogero Bonasia June 17, 2015

try this in the setenv.sh file

CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -Xms4096m -Xmx8192m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m -XX:+UseG1GC"
CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -Djava.awt.headless=true"
CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -Xloggc:$LOGBASEABS/logs/gc-`date +%F_%T`.log -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5 -XX:GCLogFileSize=2M"
CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -XX:-PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:-PrintTenuringDistribution"
export CATALINA_OPTS
Young__Hahn June 17, 2015

it does not start when I change my original setenv.sh to what you posted.. (Changed only that part) i am assuming because you have $CATALINA_OPTS inside of "" so I took that out and started.. does that make any difference?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2015

This is awful advice. Someone should never copy-paste in commands into setenv.sh. They should be very aware of what settings they are setting. Furthermore, that is a huge amount of RAM that you've allocated to Confluence. Is that really necessary? 8GB lol

Jens Kasperek (Bosch GmbH) July 13, 2015

Yes, 8GB are the least you need for very large instances! We have 10GB for our Enterprise instance. However, such parameter needs only to be set if you have a huge mass of active users and performance hungry actions going on. On Conf 5.8.5 we also have performance issues which especially come when trying to rebuild the search index

vladkras November 26, 2016

Really horrible advice. Also wikipedia engine needs 1Gb to serve 100.000 pages, so 8Gb for custom project sounds crazy

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2020

@vladkras  where I can read about 1GB used for 100k pages ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events