Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Confluence Page development step by step

I am new to page development in confluence and looking for tutorial to do the following:

Create a page , create section add heading to the section, add couple divs in the section, add couple tables/row/columns in the div with titles (banters) add navigation how can I add my style sheet/css etc. examples on macros  where are list of classes I can use in macro

These are basics

When I added page layout, added section and save does not show anything how can I see these Please guide as much as you can

Thanks

Gopal          

1 answer

0 votes

Confluence pages are not structured like that, so you won't get a tutorial that shows you most of what you've listed there.

For a plain starting page, you would 

• Click Create
  • Give it a title (the editor starts a blank page and leaves the cursor in the title field)
  • Add the content you want
  • Click save

You could also use a template instead of a plain page.  You'll still land on the title field, but there will be some pre-set content, possibly including layout, tables and macros.

On the content side, your list of things included:

• Heading: if by that you mean a page heading, there is no such thing in Confluence, unless you just mean "the area the page title is displayed in".  If you mean content headings, Confluence has 6 levels, h1. to h6. and you flag text as a heading from the formatting bar
  • Divs: you don't directly do divs yourself (unless you insist and you are on server and have installed/enabled the div macro), you use sections or layouts (depending  on which version of Confluence you are on)
  • Columns: (of content, not tables) are done by sections and layouts 
  • Tables: are an option on the formatting bar, and can have heading or footing rows
  • Navigation: mostly done by adding macros such as "table of content", "related pages", "label heatmap" and so-on
  • Macros: the docs list these (but the lists are quite different between Cloud and Server and you've not said which you're on.  Also, ).  You can use { or / (depending on version) to start listing macros or functions you can add to the content - either start typing the name for autocomplete or use the "list all" on the menu.  Or you can add them from the formatting bar directly
  • css is applied mostly at a space level, by space administrators, not in a page.

Remember, Confluence is a wiki, not an html page editor, it therefore doesn't have a lot of html functions directly available.

Thanks for reply, let me rephrase again

1. I created page from home page

2. added title

saved it I can see it

Now I am trying to add page information 

Here is what I did

click on edit

clicked on page layout

I clicked on Add section it creates an other box under page layout

the I put my cursor in page layout box

I went to other macros

selected section clicked show border, clicked insert then I saved (here is what I need to understand) I do not see anything why is that and what do I need to do to see the boxes for page layout and section(s)

This is my starting point, then I would like to see the heading for the section may be page layout similarly for other sections if I create one 

My intent is to have multiple sections for multiple purposes

Hope I can accomplish with your kind help

Thanks

Gopal 

So you're now in the content editing area, but it would be useful to know if you are using Cloud or Server (and version) at this point, as they've got different editors.

If you are on Cloud, then the url for the service will be <something>.atlassian.net   If you are on Server, then could you look at help -> about confluence (the ? top right near your profile icon) and let us know what the version is as well?

Thanks

I am on cloud 

Thanks

Gopal

Ok, so in the body of your page, you, well, put in content.

The short version of that is that you simply type in what you want, broadly as how you want to see it when the page is published.

There are a number of features you can use to lay stuff out, most of us use little more than tables, embedded attachments and layout sections to format text (a layout creates a block in your text that is split into two or more columns)

Macros and functions are a bit more clever, they are usually dynamic, generating their display from other data when the page is rendered.  Use / to get a list of available ones and an option to look through a list of all of them and some help

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Miss the Confluence demos at Team 21? Watch them here!

Phew, Atlassian Team 2021 blew by. With dozens of demos and a handful of keynotes, you may have missed some of the awesome Confluence Cloud sessions. Don't' worry, you can watch them all here or on Y...

166 views 2 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you