Confluence Page Individual Restrictions

Max Heidenreich January 26, 2015

Hello Everybody,

i do have a confluence space and in there is a Page, which i want to unlock for an individual user out of our company who already is registered as a Atlassian User. 

Now this user is free to see every page in that confluence space and thats not good. 

Is there a way to handle the restriction?

Hope to hear from you! 

Greetings from the sunny Hamburg, Max

2 answers

0 votes
Max Heidenreich January 26, 2015

Hi Paul, thank you for your prompt answer,

Yes thats correct. Only one Page should be visible for him. 

But from my point of view it doesn't make a sense to move that page to an other space, because we want to hold the documents by one place and do not want to switch between them. Your idea would be the easy way but also the dirty way from my point of view

I read the documentary but there is no part where these case are described with a solution. 

sad

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2015

I'm afraid I'd go with Paul's answer too - Confluence has a simple top-down permissive access model - you need to let him have access to the space first, then restrict him from seeing *everything* else in the space. There is a slight variation you could do - keep the page in the space, but rearrange the hierarchy so that you have two main "branches" in the space. Let's call them "public" and "private". For your case, all the pages except the one you want him to see would be in the "private" branch, and that one page would be "public". You then set the space permissions to "let everyone see it" and restrict the "private" page to "everyone except my odd user". The permission will cascade down the private branch and hide all the pages in it from him. As an aside, that probably breaks the heirarchy too, so I'd probably add the "public" page into the private branch with an "include" in the appropriate place.

Paul Pasler
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 27, 2015

I see that this seems like a dirty solution to you. But it is the most simple approach to reach your goal, with not too much pain. You surely could give access to the space and restrict every page except the one the user should see. But I would not maintain that, even if there should be more user able to see the page etc.

Saba November 16, 2018

problem with giving access to space but restricting from a certain subtree is that restricted user can still see all the subtrees (including the ones restricted from him) but when he clicks on them he gets an error. It would have been much nice if he couldn't see the restricted subtrees in the first place

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2018

Um, no they can't.  If a page is restricted, they don't see it in the tree, nor its descendants.

Like Tom Crespi likes this
0 votes
Paul Pasler
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 26, 2015

So you want to restrict the whole space except one page?

In my opinion it is easier to move this page to another space, where he has access.

You surely checked with the documentation?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Space+Permissions+Overview

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events