Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Migration/Upgrade from 3.5 to 5.5

Pete July 31, 2014

I've inherited an old version of Confluence 3.5 running on SLES, about 11GB worth of data. I want to upgrade it to the latest version 5.5 and move it to a new CentOS server running MySQL 5.5

Ideally I would like to install a clean version of 5.5 on the CentOS server, export the data from the old server and import to the new - but I'm guessing this won't work due to database incompatibilities.

Would I need to update 3.5 to 5.5 on the existing server using the recommended path, then migrate to the clean install on the new server? The existing mySQL install uses myISAM to make things a little more complicated.

Can someone point in the right direction please?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2014

Take it slow and steady.

I'd be tempted to backup the old server and restore it to the same level on the new CentOS server, but using mySQL with the correct parameters. After the restore check the database is still using utf8, etc and correct if necessary.

Then you can perform the stepped migration on that server while still having the old one to fall back on if anything goes wrong and you have to wipe/restart.

Make sure you take a decent full backup between each step, saves a bit of time if you need to revert anything.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2014

I'd also add that I wouldn't recommend 3.5 to 5.5 - although it might work for you, I've done 3.5 to several versions of 5 and the only successful ones have been to 5.0.

The upgrade from 5.0 to 5.latest have been a doddle afterwards though.

0 votes
Pete July 31, 2014

Interesting.. thanks. Am I right in thinking I will run into problems with the tables being myISAM and 5.5 needing innodb?

Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2014

You may well end up running into issues with some of the migration steps.

I would migrate it as soon as possible as stated above - it helps in the long run and saves picking through problems when you run the upgrade steps. You will end up with language settings and data type problems as you go along.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events