Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence: Merge function in tables does not work

Peter Nielsen February 14, 2018

I'm trying to create a table and I need to merge cells from 3 rows on top of eachother but apparently the built-in editor in confluence won't let me..

What should I do ?

Thank you for your answer..

Regards

Peter

6 answers

7 votes
Evgeni Boevski August 10, 2020

My solution (using Firefox): Before merging, ensure ONLY the inside of the cells is highlighted as opposed to having both the inside AND the borders highlighted.

Assume you want to merge all cells in a row.
1. Click inside the leftmost cell and drag to the rightmost (don't release the mouse button yet).

The cells and the cells' borders highlight in blue.

2. Continue dragging to the right until the mouse pointer is outside of the table borders (don't release the mouse button yet).
3. Drag back to the rightmost cell.
4. Release the mouse button.

Voila! The cells are highlighted without the borders being so! Now you can merge.

Adam Crifasi March 15, 2021

This works for me on firefox.

Stephen Nichols September 27, 2021

This was the secret sauce. It works now!

Timmate Timmate November 17, 2021

Evgeni, many thanks to you, it helped! But I see absolutely no reason for the Confluence devs to implement such behavior, this feels just ridiculous to me

1 vote
Alexi Vanderstraeten May 3, 2021

Dear all,

I quick fix I have found with Firefox is to actually click and hold on the first cell , move your cursor to the right cell so that it select both cells, move your cursor to the left so that it only select the first cell, move it to the right so that it select both cells again and then lift your finger. What it does is that it creates another type of selection that can now be merged.

Cheers.

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2018

Hi Peter,

I'm testing this out in 6.7.0 and compared to 6.4.0, the merge doesn't seem to work. I've reported this as a bug:

I've included some animated GIFs in that bug. Can you have a look at them and let me know if that's what you're trying to do?

If not, can you describe what isn't working for you and I can test that out as well?

Either way, please let me know your Confluence version so I can include this.

Regards,
Shannon

Arbit Support February 14, 2018

Hey Shannon

Thank you for reporting it and it is exactly the same thing I was trying to do.

I had to resort to excel and exporting that to pdf and inserting that pdf..

Not the most elegant solution but at least it works better..

I have no idea where to find the current version number of confluence but as we bought it for like a week ago it's probably the latest version..

Kind regards

Peter

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2018

Peter,

No worries! Is the blue a bright blue (like at the top of this page), or more of a navy blue? If it's bright blue then you're probably testing with either 6.7.0 or 6.7.1, which matches what I reported in the bug. You can check the bottom of the pages, though, it should say the version.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 5.18.27 PM.png

If it's not 6.7.0 then I can update the bug with your version as well.

Shannon

Arbit Support February 15, 2018

it's 6.7.1 cause it's blue.. Cannot see version number though.
Might have something to do with me using linux..

Anyway, thank you for reporting..

regard

Peter

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 15, 2018

No problem, Peter! Thank you for confirming that.

Just keep an eye on that bug for any status updates.

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 1, 2018

@Arbit Support @Peter Nielsen

On the bug ticket, CONFSERVER-54986, the developers have a few questions for you about replicating the issue. 

Can you have a look there and respond on it? It will help them to determine the root cause.

Thank you!

Regards,

Shannon

Jerry Dworaczyk March 13, 2019

To merge I used to just drag the mouse across the cells I wanted then do the merge. Now I must triple click the content in one cell then shift-arrow <direction> to the cell(s) I want to merge.

So depending on how you select the cells to merge, it's not only broken in 6.7 but 6.14.2 as well.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Christian Arman H Arile May 30, 2022

Hello, this doesn't seem to work on Confluence 7.4.3. I've tried it out on both Firefox 100.0.2 and Chrome 102.0.5005.63

M Hoogenboom May 30, 2022

it works with Confluence 7.16 and Firefox 100.0). Have you tried selecting the cells like explained above?

Christian Arman H Arile May 30, 2022

Thanks for checking, yes the process mentioned above was how I was originally merging the cells. But right now it's not working at all. For previously merged cells, I am still able to split then merge them again (by undo command). But for newly added rows/columns, I am unable to merge at the moment.

Allright, that's strange. I can still do this in Firefox 100.0 (with Confluence 7.16) and with chrome: 101.0.4951.64. I'll check again once I'm updated to the Chrome 102+ version and Firefox 100.0.2+.

Still works with chrome 102.

0 votes
archie.wu July 30, 2020

This is a IE problem, use Chrome will resolve it.

Bruno Mota Penteado September 21, 2020

Same for Firefox.

0 votes
ShelleyDee May 13, 2019

In 6.15.3, I've just discovered a bug with merging table cells in IE. Previously I could enter the details in one cell, then select the cells I would like to merge with, click merge, then that data would span across the cells. I tried the triple-click +shift-arrow and it didn't work for me. I tried deleting the details in the cell, and it worked. It seems I can only merge blank cells. I've reported this through Support.

ShelleyDee May 13, 2019

Well, I can just confirm that this no longer works, and I can't merge cells! gremlins

Like Bruno Mota Penteado likes this
M Hoogenboom June 4, 2019

Hi, have you reported this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events