Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Mass Change Of Owner

Roja Gurram January 5, 2021

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a feature to change, en mass, the owner of a given set of pages?

When folks leave the company, they leave behind a lot of orphaned pages that don't get supported because there is no clear owner of the content.

Googling the question doesn't seem to provide a clear answer.

Looking forward for your replies!!!

2 answers

2 votes
Mykaela Doane June 30, 2023
P. Bryan Edge-Salois September 15, 2023

It's possible in Bulk using Automations.

Like Guess_ Brandi N_ likes this
Stacy Monnahan December 12, 2023

how do you use automations to do it in bulk?  

Dylan Moore March 12, 2024

Hey Stacy, i stumbled across your question trying to solve the same thing and I've managed to automate it out, steps below.

Scope: 

• 2x series of child pages, each nestled under parent pages (referred to in this example as PARENT1 and PARENT2 - more likely the parent id will be a series of numbers)
  • PARENT1 and PARENT2 are both located in space ABC 
    • Under these 2 parent pages there are 280 pages created by a user (USER-A).
    • These pages are updated daily by a service account (USER-SVC) daily and although USER-A isn't watching the pages, because they own the page they are getting 280 notifications daily.
  • Intent is to re-assign ownership of all 280 pages to USER-SVC
    • Another use case similar to this could be when an employee leaves, assigning all pages they own to their team lead. 

Automation

1. Navigate to automation from left toolbar when in space (ABC for me)
    1. You could also do this on a global scale but you risk impacting more pages than required.
  2. Create rule
    1. Trigger: I chose scheduled for once every 5mins and turned it off when it had run (i tried manual trigger and only seemed to work on the page i triggered from)
    2. Component: "FOR Each: Add a Branch" - I selected Page branch and then specified where author is one of USER-A (this would be the person that currently owns the pages and wants to change ownership)
    3. Component: "IF: Add a condition" - I added a CQL condition which was just: parent = PARENT1 or parent = PARENT2
      1. As above PARENT1 is most likely a string of numbers you will find in the URL of parent page
    4. Component: "THEN: Add an action" - I set this to change page owner and specified the user to be USER-SVC (aka our service account). 

Hopefully this was clear to you/anyone else looking to bulk change ownership of a series of pages :) 

Like # people like this
Fraidy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 27, 2024

Hi @Dylan ,

Thanks for your clear step by step instructions. I am trying to change the page owner of all pages within a certain space. The space includes very many parent pages (too many to count). Is there any shortcut to do this via automation? 

Claude March 28, 2024

A thousand thank you's for this tip @Dylan Moore

@Fraidy to do it to all pages, skip the parent part. To change the owner, just add an IF condition where the owner is NOT the intended owner.

0 votes
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

Hi @Roja Gurram 

This is sadly not possible, even for one page it seems to be impossible.

Here I found a feature request: 

There isn't a workaround for this.

Regards, Dominic

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events