Confluence Licensing Mechanism

Deleted user May 14, 2019

I just want to know about how does the licensing mechanism for the following use case:

I use the Data Center version of Confluence, adding user access through AD groups / Distribution Lists. If a user is part od 2 DLs / ADs and both of them are added for Confluence access. So, will that user consume 1 license or 2 ?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2019

They will look like two separate accounts to Confluence, so they would consume two licences.

Unless, their account identifiers are identical.  This gets complex, but one account will "mask" other copies of itself.  Imagine you've got three directories, each with three users, and set up in the Confluence directory list in this order:

• D1:  alice, bob, chuck
  • D2: dee, evie, nic
  • D3: francis, george, nic

There are obviously 9 accounts here, but there are only 8 users, and Confluence will count 8 for the licencing.  nic is the only account in there you will need to think about.  Confluence reads the directories in order, and stops when it finds the first match.  So nic will always be seen as the nic in D2, "masking" the one in D3.  This gets more complex when Confluence is looking for groups.

Deleted user May 15, 2019

Thanks Nic ! Ya, i was talking about completely identical identifiers (name, username, email) everything.

So, if there are 2 inputs of the complete same identity, it would take only one ??

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events