Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Label Management Tool

Colleen Gotling November 30, 2022

I need to be able to manage our labels in Confluence.  What we really need to do is:

• Being able to limit the labels that can be used

OR

• Ability to remove labels from memory so they don't continue to show up when someone starts to type. 

Does anyone know of an addon that can do either of these things?  Most of the ones I see are talking about changing labels in bulk which is not as big of an issue for us.  

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

I'm afraid not, Confluence Cloud does not yet have a way to support an app doing either of those things (unlike Server/DC, where you can get things like "Labels Cage", which is capable of both of them)

Colleen Gotling December 2, 2022

Darn!

Colleen Gotling December 2, 2022

Is there any way to at least permanently remove unwanted labels?  For example if we have a label for documentation and it is spelled correctly in one place but incorrectly in another, when I go to add a new label and I start to type "doc", this is what shows up although I already removed the incorrect spelled label from all pages.  

label.PNG

1 vote
Gaby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

Hallo @Colleen
ich stimme Oliver zu. Leider.

Wir haben es für den Cloud Confluence (ohne Jira) so gelöst, dass jeder Space eine Kontrollseite für den jeweiligen Space Administrator hat, auf der die bereits vergebenen Labels über das Makro "Labellist" aufgelistet werden.
Organisatorisch hat jeder Space eine Nummer, die dem Label im jeweiligen Space vorangestellt ist.

Wir sind ein mittelständisches Unternehmen und die Kontrolle über alles ist für mich als Orgadmin noch überschaubar.

Alles Gute für Sie - Grüße - Gaby

0 votes
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

Hi @Colleen Gotling ,

So sorry for having seen this earlier. Since I work for a vendor that has a one of those Label Management apps in the Marketplace, this topic is very much close to heart for me.

Unfortunately for us label aficionados, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- is right: Confluence Cloud simply does not allow vendors the same access as the on-prem version did/does. Especially the label suggestions are something we cannot affect at all. If a label is in use somewhere, it will be suggested.

So, how to cope? In my mind, the best approach is to make it as easy as possible to assign the correct label to a page. This can be in the form of adding labels to your page templates, using Automation for Confluence, and of course occasionally checking which labels are currently in use with the labels list macro

Of course, if you are open to using an app, there are more options. Bulk actions for labels are commonplace, but not too useful in your case. With our app Magic Labels you can set up a block list of labels that should never be used – those will be removed whenever a page is updated. While this does immediately limits the labels that can be entered, it can help keep some common mistakes out of your Confluence space.[1] 

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions or label needs. 

Best regards,
 Oliver

[1] For our Jira-based label manager, we just recently adding an autocorrect feature for labels. For technical reasons, we cannot bring that same feature to Confluence now, but are looking to do so as soon we can.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events