Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence - JIRA Issue/Filter Macro - Epic Name blank

Simon Levison April 12, 2018

Hello All,

I have several grid pages in Confluence that tie back to Epics and stories in Jira. For one of my pages I display a number of Jira filters that pull in Epics with specific criteria.

The filters work great in Jira and also display all the right epics on my confluence page, but the "Epic Name" column does not show any values. It has in the past intermittently shown the Epic names but would disappear every other day or so. Now for the past few weeks I have no Epic names displayed.

Under "columns to display" I am including the "key" as I realized that the epic name will never show without that selection made. I have also tried both the "epic name" and "epic key" option. Both seem to default to the same when using a filter with epics. 

Does anyone know why I might not be able to display the Epic name?

Is there a solution that anyone is aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Simon

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2018

Hi Simon,

The Epic Name display option worked on my test instance:

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 11.43.02 AM.png

If you are using a Confluence version prior to 6.0.1 you may be running into this bug: When Epic Link is chosen as a display field in the JIRA macro, it should show Epic Name.

I look forward to hearing your Confluence and Jira versions so we can either attribute the behavior to a bug or research further.

Hi Ann,

Thank you for the quick response. We are using Confluence version 6.2.3 and Jira was recently upgraded to version 7.8.0.

I'm thinking the Jira upgrade turned our intermittent issue with the Epic name not showing to a permanent issue. 

In Jira, I see the Epic link blank as well, but the Epic name is populated. When I in Confluence select "epic name" as the column it will display as "epic link" afterwards. It seems like Confluence is mapping the epic name to epic link?

Thanks

Simon

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2018

Hi Simon,

I reproduced what you are describing in Confluence 6.2.3 and Jira 7.8:

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.35.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.36.23 PM.png

I found that it was fixed in Confluence 6.5:  JIRA issues Macro instead of Epic Name showing Epic Link column

So, the good news is when your team upgrades to the latest Confluence version (or anything above 6.5) the issue will be eliminated.

Fantastic. Thank you so much for your help. I will reach out to our site owners and find out when we are planning on upgrading.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
April 12, 2018

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Here is a guide that may be helpful to your site owners as they plan the upgrade. Upgrading Confluence 

It's safest to test in a pre-production environment to avoid surprises in Production. The Community is here for questions during the planning phase as well as during the actual upgrade, so they or you may reach out regarding any clarifications needed.

2 votes
Owen Scott November 2, 2021

Any resolution to this for Jira Cloud?

Issue reported here, but closed inexplicably:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-52532

Does this have to do with classic vs. next-gen projects?

Tiago Cardoso February 2, 2022

I'm also following up closely on this problem as it's also impacting my company.

For now, as a workaround, we have used a custom field + automation to set the Story name based on Epic's name.

AISHWARYA KRISHNAN February 8, 2022

Is there a way to not use custom fields but use the epic name in the Jira issues plugin in Confluence?

0 votes
Elizabeth Sparks November 29, 2022

Seeing this still on confluence cloud.

Workaround is to create a table with subsections for each Epic, and have a query by epic in each section, hard coding the epic name into each sub section.

This is not good.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events