Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members
Community Events
Community Groups

Confluence - JIRA Issue/Filter Macro - Epic Name blank

Hello All,

I have several grid pages in Confluence that tie back to Epics and stories in Jira. For one of my pages I display a number of Jira filters that pull in Epics with specific criteria.

The filters work great in Jira and also display all the right epics on my confluence page, but the "Epic Name" column does not show any values. It has in the past intermittently shown the Epic names but would disappear every other day or so. Now for the past few weeks I have no Epic names displayed.

Under "columns to display" I am including the "key" as I realized that the epic name will never show without that selection made. I have also tried both the "epic name" and "epic key" option. Both seem to default to the same when using a filter with epics. 

Does anyone know why I might not be able to display the Epic name?

Is there a solution that anyone is aware of?


Thanks in advance for your help.


2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley Atlassian Team Apr 12, 2018

Hi Simon,

The Epic Name display option worked on my test instance:

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 11.43.02 AM.png

If you are using a Confluence version prior to 6.0.1 you may be running into this bug: When Epic Link is chosen as a display field in the JIRA macro, it should show Epic Name.

I look forward to hearing your Confluence and Jira versions so we can either attribute the behavior to a bug or research further.

Hi Ann,

Thank you for the quick response. We are using Confluence version 6.2.3 and Jira was recently upgraded to version 7.8.0.

I'm thinking the Jira upgrade turned our intermittent issue with the Epic name not showing to a permanent issue. 

In Jira, I see the Epic link blank as well, but the Epic name is populated. When I in Confluence select "epic name" as the column it will display as "epic link" afterwards. It seems like Confluence is mapping the epic name to epic link?



AnnWorley Atlassian Team Apr 12, 2018

Hi Simon,

I reproduced what you are describing in Confluence 6.2.3 and Jira 7.8:

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.35.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.36.23 PM.png

I found that it was fixed in Confluence 6.5:  JIRA issues Macro instead of Epic Name showing Epic Link column

So, the good news is when your team upgrades to the latest Confluence version (or anything above 6.5) the issue will be eliminated.

Fantastic. Thank you so much for your help. I will reach out to our site owners and find out when we are planning on upgrading.

AnnWorley Atlassian Team Apr 12, 2018

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Here is a guide that may be helpful to your site owners as they plan the upgrade. Upgrading Confluence 

It's safest to test in a pre-production environment to avoid surprises in Production. The Community is here for questions during the planning phase as well as during the actual upgrade, so they or you may reach out regarding any clarifications needed.

Any resolution to this for Jira Cloud?


Issue reported here, but closed inexplicably:


Does this have to do with classic vs. next-gen projects?

I'm also following up closely on this problem as it's also impacting my company.

For now, as a workaround, we have used a custom field + automation to set the Story name based on Epic's name.

Is there a way to not use custom fields but use the epic name in the Jira issues plugin in Confluence?

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

An update on Confluence Cloud customer feedback – June 2022

Hi everyone, We’re always looking at how to improve Confluence and customer feedback plays an important role in making sure we're investing in the areas that will bring the most value to the most c...

421 views 2 13
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you