Confluence - How can I change the Server ID? And what will this affect?

Aaron Hurley January 9, 2012

We made a server clone of a Confluence instance so now both instances have the same Server ID. How can I change one so that they can use different licenses?

I know that the Server ID is listed in confluence.cfg.xml but will changing that simply work? Will it break anything? And if I go this route can I generate a new ID by installing a standalone instance on my computer and using that Server ID?

Thanks,

Aaron

1 answer

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2012

Hey Aaron,

If your server is just for testing I wouldn't even both changing the serverid or the license. If it's a planned new installation following the link below for the procedure to get a new id

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Changing+Server+ID+for+Test+Installations

Aaron Hurley January 10, 2012

This will not be for a test instance, it will be another production instance we will be deploying. Is it okay to have two production instances with the same Server ID but different licenses (one will be 100 users and the other 500 users)?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2012

It's ok on your side, as you'll be within the licensing terms, but I suspect it will break your Atlassian account - that relies on tying your license to a unique server ID, and it wouldn't make any sense to have two valid licenses for what appears to be the same server. If you need support, it'll confuse that too, because they won't know which server you mean.

Aaron Hurley January 10, 2012

Support-wise they have different SEN's so that could differentiate them. I just want to make sure that I won't break anything on our side or Atlassian's.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2012

mmm, I wouldn't rely on that. A quick mail to Atlassian support to get a definitive answer is the thing to do (and share the response here? :-) )

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events