Confluence Home Directory relocation to NFS mount, no links

surfless August 4, 2016

Trying to relocate Confluence Home Directory from root partition to NFS Mount.

The confluence application is stopped, the data is synced, and permissions are correct on the NFS mount, and  confluence-init.properties is changed.

When confluence is started again, the following error:

2016-08-03 16:27:32,112 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [springframework.web.context.ContextLoader] initWebApplicationContext Root WebApplicationContext: initialization completed in 33982 ms

2016-08-03 16:27:32,129 ERROR [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.confluence.setup.BootstrapApplicationStartupListener] checkConfigurationOnStartup Couldn't lock file 'lock' in directory /confluence/confluence

Make sure the directory is not being used by another Confluence instance.

There is no other instance of confluence running, the lock file is removed.

But the error is persistent

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

>Trying to relocate Confluence Home Directory from root partition to NFS Mount.

Do not do this.  You really do not want the home directory on an NFS mount - even if you can get around the current problem, you're going to hit others.

By all means, put the attachments on NFS, but not the rest of it.

surfless August 8, 2016

Hi Nic,

There are two ways in which confluence could modify the attachment directory, if I'm correct

1. Confluence administration -> Attachment Storage -> Edit Attachment Storage and check 'In Confluence's configuration database (Deprecated).

Unfortunately that checkbox symbol does not work.

2.  Change confluence.cfg.xml  <property name="attachments.dir">${confluenceHome}/attachments</property> 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

Yes, the change of confluence.cfg.xml is the right way to do it, but there's a third option which I've used a lot - mount the NFS share over /<confluence home>/attachments (tricky on windows because of the primitive and inflexible way the file systems work, but works like a charm on a Unix type box)

Also, I should have been a bit more clear - it's NFS or other shared storage that is the problem.  There's no issues with moving <confluence home> on to other local disks, it doesn't need to be the root or boot disk.

surfless August 10, 2016

Thanks Nic,

Going to have to move the home directory to addition disk on the vm instance of confluence. Atlassion has also confirmed this.

Thanks for the response to my issues with confluence.

Craig

0 votes
surfless August 7, 2016

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply.

Touched a file as user 'confluence' in the NFS mount.

No problem creating a file with 554 permissions.

Went back to checked original 'home directory' and the result was the same permissions.

Craig

0 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2016

Hi Craig,

I see you've mentioned that the permissions on NFS are correct, but can you su to the account running Confluence and try to write a file to that directory anyway? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events