Confluence Editor Support

Douglas Garstang February 18, 2013

Can someome tell me where I can get support for the editor in Confluence?

It's not an understatement to say that the wysiwg editor makes me want to friggin kill someone. You can never get the damn thing to do what you want. I just don't need the stress. Thirty minutes with this pile of crap and my blood pressure has gone up 30 points.

Doug.

5 answers

1 vote
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2013

Hallo Doug

In addition to the excellent points from Giuliano, you may find this documentation page useful:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Quick+Reference+Guide+for+the+Confluence+Editor

It introduces the shortcut keys and other tips for power users.

I hope it's helpful!

Another thing you may find useful is the Confluence source editor. Once installed, you can edit the markup of the page directly. It's pretty basic, because it just gives you the raw XML. But at least you can get rid of those annoying extra blank lines.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.editor.confluence-source-editor

This page explains the XML-based storage format:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Storage+Format

Cheers

Sarah

1 vote
Giuliano C_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2013

Hello Doug,

To get a better support for the editor or another Feature of your Confluence instance, you have to raise a support ticket through https://support.atlassian.com.

After created the Support Ticket, we will help you as soon as possible, to avoid you to experience other behaviors that could ruin your patience.

Looking forward for your support ticket.

Also, if you need assistance to create it, allow us to help you.

Regards,

Giuliano Tenedini

Confluence/Crowd Support

What exactly would the support ticket say? Should I file a new ticket for every occurance of the editor adding white space where it should not be, or refusing to let me indent code markup inside numbered bullet points?

Giuliano C_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2013

I know how you feel about it, Doug. Through Atlassian Support, we could find if this is a bug experienced by you, some kind of error on your instance (if that's the case, we will perform researches to help you).

However, since you are not looking for a Support ticket, could you please clarify to us what kind of problem are you experiencing? If we can, allow us to help you.

Douglas Garstang February 21, 2013

Nice one Atlassian. I posted a reply, and then I was prompted to login and my message disappeared. Poof.

Let me try asking this again...

How do I have no-format macros inside numbered bullets?

Doug.

0 votes
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2013

Hallo Doug

To get a No Format macro (or an image, code block, etc) inside a numbered list: Press Shift+Enter to create the new line (without paragraph break) then add the macro.

Cheers

Sarah

0 votes
Douglas Garstang February 21, 2013

Lemme try this again.

How do I get no-format macros inside numbered bullets?

Doug.

0 votes
Freedom Is Not Anarchy February 18, 2013

Here you go, Giuliano :)

URL:

http://consumerist.com/2013/02/19/makers-mark-haha-just-kidding-we-wont-water-down-bourbon/

EXCERPT:

... That is, enough people freaked out over the change that the company realized it’d have a full-scale rebellion on its hands if it messed with anything ...

No idea why Freedom Is Not Anarchy posted that comment. Actually, here's an example of why I hate wysiwyg editors right here. I copied and pasted his name, and the hyperlink came with it. I didn't want that. I'd have to paste his name into a another text editor to remove the formatting, and the repaste again. What a waste of time.

I'm really not sure how to explain my issues. It's a wysiwyg editor. How can I qualify those without pictures?

One small example... If I type a series of lines of text, with code blocks beneath each, and want to number bullet point the text, the text bullet points as it should, but the code blocks stays way to the left, left of the numbered bullet point, and it looks like crap.

Oh, and also, every time I want to add a code macro, I have to click about 5 buttons. Huge waste of time. If the raw editor was there, I could just type <code>.

Giuliano C_
Atlassian Team
February 18, 2013

Just like you, I don't have any idea why "Freedom is not Anarchy" have posted the answer. However, let's proceed with our conversation:

1) About the Hyperlink. From my thoughts, it's a good idea, since you just have to click on the link and select "remove link", but, it's only my opinion, I know that it could be better for you if you don't have to select any button to remove the link or don't have to perform all workaround copying and pasting the word to remove it from the link, but it's just an improvement which could help some other users.

2) The code macro question. You can insert the macro by only typing {code} if you prefeer. It will avoid you to perform all these steps to add the macro and will be a little toilsome. You can insert any macro typing {macroname}. However, is that behavior fine for you?

3) From Code Blocks and bullet points together. Again, I will say that I know how you feel, Doug. In some cases, it looks like a little weird with the bullet points together, but, for me (not talking as a Atlassian Engineer) it's a kind of expected behavior.

I really want to talk about it with you, since I've experienced these kind of feelings with other softwares, which have pissed me off, but, if you just want to unburden, we are here to keep talking without "Walls" between us.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events