Confluence Database Feature Accessibility/Restrictions

Sienna Markham April 30, 2024

Why does Confluence allow users to edit the database feature directly on the page without entering "Edit" mode, and how can I restrict this capability? Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2024

We're not using Confluence databases, but we are part of the live-edit EAP. I wonder if you could get around this with the live-edit page?

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/create-and-collaborate-on-live-edit-pages-in-confluence/

Hi Amanda, thanks for the help! I'm actually looking for where no one can live edit on the page. I know there's use of "tables", but is there anything else where users who are just viewing the page can't edit (unless they go into edit mode and publish their changes)?

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2024

Oh geez, I completely misread your question. It's been a long day! 🤦‍♀️

This sounds less than ideal, although it reminds me a bit of notion. I do love Confluence for the ability to publish some things and prevent editing. 

From this support article: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/create-and-edit-databases/ 

Database restrictions

You can restrict database access and editing like other Confluence content. Database permissions are managed at the space level.

See the following topic for more information on restricting content in Confluence. Add or remove content restrictions

Haaha no worries! 

I don't have admin controls in a specific page I'm working on that's under "Anyone in this space can view and edit". Though a co-worker (who has the ability to restrict access to edit) and I ran a test to see if they were to restrict my access to edit the page, could I still edit the page live. Turns out I did in fact couldn't edit the page itself, BUT I could still edit the database feature with my restricted access. Which isn't the safest option for our case.

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2024

Definitely doesn't sound like a safe option. Also sounds a bit buggy since that's not what's documented.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events