Confluence Data - Trying to override existing database

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Using the JIRA application configuration tool

Clicking on upgrade (Confluence),  now i  cant connect to my database, Confluence is asking me to set up data base again when i already have an existing database.

The following error(s) occurred:

• Confluence tables already exist in the selected database.

What will be  the best way of knowing or pointing confluence to the  right database  ?

Should there not be a choice to choose this from the  installation wizard ?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

No.  What you're doing is trying to connect an unconfigured Confluence to a configured one.  It cannot know whether you need to go through the setup again or not.

Your next step should be to connect this Confluence to an empty database.

NO I am not trying to connect to an unconfigured confluence. 

Like i said Confluence was up and running before the upgrade.  After a restart on the server, Confluence went straight to the configuration page asking me to configure database. And this is why i am concerned with this action from Confluence

Every other i installed worked fine with the existing database, why not confluence ?

That's not what the system is telling you, although you've misread what I said and got it the wrong way around.

Your Confluence is not configured, as it believes it needs to set up the database, but it's trying to connect to one with data in it.  So it's complaining because it doesn't know what you want.

I have the same issue, I setup Confluence for the first time and want to setup a DB and receive the message that  Database Contains Existing Confluence Data - Confluence Confluence tables already exist in the selected database. The only thing that I have did was create manually the DB in MS Sql, I dont understand why I receive this message as i didn't create the table.

You've pointed it to a database that has already been set up by a Confluence installation.

You need to point the installer at an empty database.

and how I can override without the drop the DB?

You don't.  You need to point a new Confluence installer at an empty DB.  Either drop the tables in the existing one, or create a new empty one.

This widget could not be displayed.

Hello, i'm facing the same problem. I'm installing a new confluence instance. the oracle db is on the same server as the jira confluence. also in this server we have installed another jira ( not confluence) with oracle db

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

569 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you