Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Data - Trying to override existing database

Adejumo Magbagbeola February 22, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Using the JIRA application configuration tool

Clicking on upgrade (Confluence),  now i  cant connect to my database, Confluence is asking me to set up data base again when i already have an existing database.

The following error(s) occurred:

• Confluence tables already exist in the selected database.

What will be  the best way of knowing or pointing confluence to the  right database  ?

Should there not be a choice to choose this from the  installation wizard ?

2 answers

0 votes
Ornaldo May 7, 2018

Hello, i'm facing the same problem. I'm installing a new confluence instance. the oracle db is on the same server as the jira confluence. also in this server we have installed another jira ( not confluence) with oracle db

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2017

No.  What you're doing is trying to connect an unconfigured Confluence to a configured one.  It cannot know whether you need to go through the setup again or not.

Your next step should be to connect this Confluence to an empty database.

Adejumo Magbagbeola February 22, 2017

NO I am not trying to connect to an unconfigured confluence. 

Like i said Confluence was up and running before the upgrade.  After a restart on the server, Confluence went straight to the configuration page asking me to configure database. And this is why i am concerned with this action from Confluence

Every other i installed worked fine with the existing database, why not confluence ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2017

That's not what the system is telling you, although you've misread what I said and got it the wrong way around.

Your Confluence is not configured, as it believes it needs to set up the database, but it's trying to connect to one with data in it.  So it's complaining because it doesn't know what you want.

Abdelali Boumalek November 17, 2017

I have the same issue, I setup Confluence for the first time and want to setup a DB and receive the message that  Database Contains Existing Confluence Data - Confluence Confluence tables already exist in the selected database. The only thing that I have did was create manually the DB in MS Sql, I dont understand why I receive this message as i didn't create the table.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2017

You've pointed it to a database that has already been set up by a Confluence installation.

You need to point the installer at an empty database.

Abdelali Boumalek November 17, 2017

and how I can override without the drop the DB?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2017

You don't.  You need to point a new Confluence installer at an empty DB.  Either drop the tables in the existing one, or create a new empty one.

Andrew March 16, 2021

What if those tables contain valuable organizational information (as one usually does when they're using this product) and we can't drop the tables?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events