Confluence Crowd Integration

Bjoern Sonntag July 13, 2020

For some time now I have various Atlassian products (Confluence, Jira, Bitbucket) running as dockerized solo instances and it works very well.

Now the time has come that my small company grows and I get more and more employees and so I decided to include Atlassian Crowd in the range. I added it to the docker-compose and started it and configured it accordingly (with a Postgres).

Now that I have configured Crowd accordingly and integrated the corresponding group (would like to manage groups and users only in Crowd), I have started to integrate Crowd as a user directory in Confluence. The test runs so far.

However, if I try to authenticate a user who is in the Confluence database after the sync, this does not work because he apparently does not know the password and I get the message "Username and / or password are wrong".

I see how the login attempt is logged as incorrect in the Confluence and can also reset it. I use the official Docker images ... what else do I have to consider?

Many thanks for the help.

with best regards

Bjoern

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2020

Hello @Bjoern Sonntag !

As I understand, login with Confluence internal users is no longer working as expected after integration with Crowd.

After reading the description of your current situation, I believe that this has to do with the order of the user directories used with your Confluence server.

Any directory at the top position will be treated as the most important of them. This means that Confluence will look for users inside this top directory before anywhere else.

If Confluence finds a user within that first directory, it stops looking for the user and uses the information found inside this directory.

Here is an example:

1. We have JohnDoe in our Internal User Directory in Confluence
  2. JohnDoe from the Internal Directory has the password set to 12345
  3. We then connect the ExternalUsers External User Directory to Confluence
  4. We place it as having a bigger priority over the Internal Directory
  5. Inside ExternalUsers we have JohnDoe as well
  6. JohnDoe from the External Directory uses 54321 as password
  7. JohnDoe then tries to login using the 12345 password
  8. Confluence will look into ExternalUsers directory
  9. It will find that JohnDoe exists there
  10. It will check that the password sent is 12345
  11. It checks that it does not match with the stored one, which is 54321
  12. Login fails

I believe that the situation described above is what is affecting your user. You could try creating a new External user and a new Internal User and check if the login for both works as expected.

Here we have more information on multiple directories:

Let us hear from you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events