Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence -- Cookie based authentication endpoint?

Kyle Ross September 25, 2017

I am currently setting up cookie-based authentication for my organization. I have set up the connection for JIRA. I am requesting a cookie ID using the endpoint //server/rest/auth/1/session.

This endpoint doesn't seem to work for confluence, and I haven't yet been able to find documentation anywhere for the endpoint I am supposed to use.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

2 answers

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2017

Hi Kyle,

As you may have already found out there is no session endpoint available for Confluence and indeed we have the below feature request open in order to have this added:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-57359

As mentioned in  above feature request:

If you have JIRA and Confluence on the same instance then you can call the JIRA session endpoint and, if the credentials used to authenticate the request have Confluence application access, you can use the cookie you retrieved to authenticate Confluence REST API calls.

Otherwise, if you don't have JIRA, you can then use Oauth authentication as explained in the below thread (see only the answers from 2017):

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Confluence-Oauth-Authentication/qaq-p/331326

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2017

What are you using as an authentication source?   Confluence has 3rd party add-ons already created for user authentication.  For example SAMl

Kyle Ross September 26, 2017

Thank you for that link!

I am authenticating from a Java script, as I have done for JIRA. In that instance, I was sending a POST to JIRA and getting back the JSESSIONID.

Where I work, we are required to go through an arduous process for each new add-on, and its not even certain that it may be approved. For that reason, I would like to avoid 3rd party add-ons.

This should be possible to do, since I was able to achieve it in JIRA, right?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events