Confluence Command Line Interface security

Ken Poulton December 17, 2012

We use the command line interface (CLI) a lot, but the authentication creates a big security hole.

hole 1) CLI requires the user's password for each command.
To write a script, many people embed their passwords in the script. (Really bad).
Better is to put the password in a file readable only by the user, but this is still a cleartext password.

hole 2) CLI requires the users's password to be passed on the command line, where anyone can see it with ps(1)

I think (2) is a defect in CLI.

Does anyone have a better solution than a cleartext file for part (1) ?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012
  1. Recommend customizing your CLI bat/sh (either atlassian.bat/.sh or confluence.bat/.sh) to include your password. For me, none of my scripts contain passwords, they only refer to the atlassian command. It also makes it easier to maintain. If you need to access multiple servers, strongly recommend using the atlassian.bat/sh as it is much easier to customize for multiple servers and products. It also works better in scripts. It is available as part of the Atlassian Command Line Interface distribution
  2. CSOAP-153 covers a few more options - vote and comment there for what you would like to see

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events