Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Confluence Cloud - how to see which spaces a user can access?

I'd have thought this is a pretty basic need - go to a user and be shown what spaces they can access. Am I missing something?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Chris,

Thanks for contacting us about this.

It's a bit more difficult than going to one place because it depends on individual permissions and also group permissions, and a user could be in multiple groups.

When a one of your users log in, they can go to the Spaces menu in the sidebar, and they'll be able to see all the spaces they have view access to:

Additionally, when they click + to create a new page (link: Create, Edit, and Publish), under the Select Space menu, they should see a list of spaces they have access to create pages in.

If one of your users can't see a space that they're supposed to have access to, I recommend checking both Global Permissions and the individual Space Permissions to see if there might be anything preventing them from accessing that space.

If you need a hand, please let me know, and I can help out.

Regards,

Shannon  

Shannon Hi, 

To piggy back of the earlier question, I have a new hire and I want to mirror her Confluence cloud access on her team mates.   In Confluence server, I can run a query against the DB, is there a way to find that out in Cloud or its a question for Atlassian support to run the query for me.

Thank You

Hi @kayode_faith,

Cloud products manage product access differently than our Server and Data Center products. A database query won't work here.

You can set the default access for new users following Update product access settings. Refer to the Give new users product access section to learn how you can determine default access for new hires.

I hope this helps, but if you need further advice, I recommend raising a new question, so your question doesn't get missed.

Take care!

Shannon

Hey @Shannon Spaniol 
so you are telling us the following:
For Server Version there is a way, "For auditing or administration purposes, an administrator may want to see which spaces a given user can access (i.e. at least have view permissions)" as shown in
https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-list-which-spaces-a-user-can-access-321258272.html

But For Cloud Version there is not?
So does Attlassian think there are no "auditing or administration purposes" this could come in handy?

Hello @DSC,

That's assuredly not the case. Confluence Server and Data Center versions require an externally hosted database which you administer yourself. Because of this, Server and Data Center admins can use that database access to their advantage to audit their Confluence site internally.

Please note the feature to audit a user's space access does not exist in either Server/DC or Cloud. I'll share those feature requests below if you are interested in voting.

Note the Server version has been closed as "Won't Do," but the Cloud version is still collecting interest.

Should you ever require assistance on your Cloud database, you can raise a support ticket

Thank you, and take care.

Shannon

so there is no way to get the Information which user can access which Space other than manually check all Spaces  and export the Information to an Excel List?
or to List which User is in which group?
Or which group has access to which Space?

Hello DSC,

... there is no way to get the information which user can access which Space other than manually check all Spaces and export the information to an Excel List?

When a space is first created, the permissions are based on the default Space permissions set by the site admin. Space admins can modify their space's permissions by changing group access or adding users individually. Because of this granularity, there isn't a single list site admins can reference.

In the database query we recommended, the command joins multiple tables to obtain that information. It would be much easier if the UI included this information for site admins to get in one place, which is the reason we created those feature requests from earlier:

If a single user wants to see a list of spaces they have permission to browse, they can click the menu Spaces > View all spaces

...which group has access to which Space?

If you're a space admin, you can check the Space Permissions to see which users and groups have access to a given space. If you're not a space admin, you can recover access by clicking the Settings menu on the top right (gear icon), then Space Permissions in the sidebar. Click Recover Permissions next to the space you want to manage.

to List which User is in which group?

Site admins can manage group permissions via User Management. You can see both a list of users and their groups and the groups and their users. For more information, review these two pages:

I hope that helps. If you have any additional questions or problems, I recommend raising a new question, and we can help you out there.

Thank you, and take care.

Shannon

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

🥓🙅🏻‍♀️ Meet-less May Badge!

Hello Confluence Community!  What if i told you that you could have a healthier life and be 100% meet-less? This month, we're promoting a healthy, balanced work diet with Confluence. (Read m...

411 views 3 18
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you