Confluence 6.11. fails to start on Debian 9 with out of memory error

Deleted user September 4, 2018

I am installing Confluence on Debian 9 and it fails to start the synchrony proxy with an out of memory error - unable to create new native thread.

My setup:

• - virtual server env with debian 9
  • - mariadb 10.1
  • - confluence 6.11
  • - apache2 as ssl proxy
  • - mysql driver 5.1.47

Steps to reproduce issue:

• Get fresh virtual host install (debian 9).
  • Install mariadb and apache2
  • Start confluence installation from command line, without starting confluence
  • Copy mysql driver to WEB-INF/lib
  • Start confluence
  • Choose own database and configure accordingly
  • Setup example site
  • Conclude setup

Expected result:

Confluence starts and shows login page

Actual result:

Confluence shows following error page -

Description: Unable to start up Confluence. Fatal error during startup sequence: confluence.lifecycle.core:dblowercheck (Check to ensure the database correctly supports lower() for non-ASCII characters)

Level: fatal

Exception: unable to create new native thread

Initial investigation into log files show that synchrony proxy fails to start because it is unable to create a new native thread (out of memory error).

I have run this config successfully on debian 8 and run into this problem after upgrading to debian 9.

Please advise.

4 answers

0 votes
Hendrik November 1, 2018

Is there any solution für this issues? I've it too.

Deleted user November 1, 2018

So far, I have none. The only option was to revert back to Debian 8.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2018

Forget MariaDB, it's not supported, so trying it is a waste of time.

But the error is (probably) not database related, it looks to be the memory.  How much memory are you giving Confluence and Synchrony, and how much memory does the physical machine have?

Deleted user September 7, 2018

I tried with postgres as well, first thing I checked. Same result.

I have a virtual machine with 32GB memory. Should be more than enough..

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2018

Ok, you have enough memory to use, but what are the memory settings for the JVM?  Just because you've got 32Gb, doesn't mean you've told Confluence to use most of it.

Running confluence with these options: -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:+UseG1GC

Also tried: -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -XX:+UseG1GC. No change.

Btw: default settings worked fine with debian 8.

Is there any other way to configure memory?

0 votes
Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2018

Hi @[deleted],

Problem might be either no memory or exceeding the Operating System limit for new threads.

Please have look on advise for similar kind of issue at CONFSERVER-16755 and have look at how to trouble shoot unable to create new native thread.

If problem still persists provide us the server statistics in terms of how much memory allocated to confluence and available on server.

Thanks,
Ram.

Thanks for your response.

I did a stack trace analysis. The number of threads are not the issue.

I am running the instance on a 32GB memory machine.

I also played around with the memory settings by increasing heap size to 2 and then 3GB. No help.

0 votes
Deleted user September 4, 2018

The database setup does not matter. An attempt with postgres showed the same results.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events