Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence 6.10.1 Server Install: Error connecting to MSSQL DB with Windows Authentication.

Nicholas McKay August 8, 2018

Hi I'm receiving error: "SQL State - 08S01 com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: This driver is not configured for integrated authentication.."

From this article (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Confluence-MS-SQL-Server-connection-with-Microsoft/qaq-p/691948), it looks like the issue could be the JDBC driver bundled with Confluence. I can't locate the sqljdbc_auth.dll file that is mentioned in the article on my server, so I'm wondering if the bundled JDBC driver installed properly.

Should I manually re-install it? If so what version should I install? I have downloaded version 7.0 which is the latest 'Type 4' driver from MS. The Atlassian docs say only a specific version of the Type 4 driver is supported, but do not advise which version that is (https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-jdbc-drivers-171742.html).

NB: If I drop the "integratedSecurity=true" from the connection string I get error code - 18456 with message: "Login failed for user" when trying a test connection. In the SQL server logs I get error: "Login failed for user.. Reason: Attempting to use an NT account name with SQL Server Authentication".

Also, I can test-connect fine using a SQL server-based user, just not a user with Windows authentication. I need to use Windows Auth however for my deployment.

Cheers,

Nick

1 answer

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2018

Hi Nicholas,

Both 7.0 and 6.0 drivers are type 4, so I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work.

I would make sure there is configuration done based on Microsoft's documentation.

• Download and extract sqljdbc_auth.dll from Microsoft JDBC Driver 7.0 for SQL Server
  • If you are running a 64-bit JVM on a x64 processor, copy the sqljdbc_auth.dll file to the x64 folder.
  • Add the following to the JVM argument and restart Confluence in order for it to use sqljdbc_auth.dll -
    -Djava.library.path=C:\Microsoft JDBC Driver 7.0 for SQL Server\sqljdbc_<version>\enu\auth\x64

Please check our documentation on Configuring System Properties for more details.

If 7.0 doesn't work please feel free to try 6.0.

Regards,

Shannon

Nicholas McKay August 9, 2018

Thanks Shannon. I installed the JDBC 7.0 driver and that seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Cheers,

Nick

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2018

Nick,

Glad to hear you were able to get it working.

Let us know if you have any additional issues.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events