Confluence 5.1.5 Word export not recognized as Word by OpenOffice

Robert Lauriston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2013

I've been opening Confluence-exported Word documents in OpenOffice Writer from 4.x and 5.x for quite a while without problems. With exports from 5.1.5, OpenOffice doesn't recognize the document. It brings up an ASCII Filter Options dialog, and whatever the settings, displays raw XML. I tried OOW 3.x on Mac and Windows and 4.0 on Windows.

I'm not sure when this broke but I'm pretty sure I've used the feature successfully in the last month or two.

The problem appears to be due to Confluence adding an inappropriate email header, as shown below. I can work around the problem by deleting everything before the <html ...> tag. Word apparently is smart enough to ignore that stuff and open it.

Message-ID: &lt;1266246697.3.1378345893750.JavaMail.confluence@ip-10-253-107-12.us-west-2.compute.internal&gt;
Subject: Exported From Confluence
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/related; 
	boundary="----=_Part_2_2017844387.1378345893746"

------=_Part_2_2017844387.1378345893746
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Location: file:///C:/exported.html

&lt;html xmlns:o=3D'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office'
      xmlns:w=3D'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word'
      xmlns:v=3D'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml'
      xmlns=3D'urn:w3-org-ns:HTML'&gt;
&lt;head&gt;
    &lt;meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8=
"&gt;

1 answer

0 votes
hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2013

I can produce the same problem in OpenOffice but if I open the document in MS Word, it is displayed fine (tested in 5.x and 4.x). The issue seem to lie on the OpenOffice itself, perhaps its version? There's also an improvement request to get OpenOffice officially supported here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-17391

Robert Lauriston
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

.doc files are not supposed to start with an email header.

Lennart Rolland February 26, 2018

+1

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events