Confluence 4.3.x Migrating to New Database Looses Previously Installed Plugins

Gavin Fowler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2012

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of migrating the between back-end databases.

I'm attempting to migrate away from our ageing Oracle 9i database to mySQL 5.5.x. I've followed the instructions on the atlassian website (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF43/Migrate+to+Another+Database) and used method #2 (as my attachments folder is ~1.4GB).

The migration works (at least it doesn't throw errors during the process), but when i log in and look at the installed plugins all i see is what i suspect is a default set of plugins belonging to a new installation, all my manually installed plugins (like SQL Plugin, Page Information Tools, etc, etc ) are missing. As a result pages using these plugins show "unknown macro" in place of expected functionality.

If I revert back to the previous Oracle database configuration (confluence.cfg.xml) and restart, all the missing plugins return and are functional.

I can only assume the plugins/associated configurations are stored in full/part in the database. I'm beginning to wonder weather I'm missing a step during my database migration and/or whether plugins need to be dealt with in another manner

FYI. I have the confluence db (in MySQL 5.5) created as outlined below (it did occur to me whether DB character-set / language is influence this).

CREATE DATABASE confluencedb CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin;

Any pointers / advice would be most welcome.

Gavin.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gavin Fowler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

The documentation also states that you need to "make note" of your installed plugins. I guess the manual installation approach is the accepted approach.

0 votes
Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2012

Not sure if this would work but, copy the whole data directory for confluence not just the attachements folder. Make sure you edit your confluence.cfg.xml file to point to your new database or rename the file to configure the database in the install gui.

Gavin Fowler
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2012

Hey Jason, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately copying the who data directrory still doens't help (my test was to use the a a mysql confluence.cfg.xml in the orginal data directory (where jar files reside). It seems to me there must be something stored in the database (perhaps plugin registration?). I'll test further - but for now it seems like manually installing the plugins is way forward.

0 votes
Gavin Fowler
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2012

UPDATE: I've manually installed all the plug-ins from the market. This approach feels a little clumsy so still interested if there's a more optimal / preferred method.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events