Confluence 4.3 to the lastest Version

Michael January 15, 2015

Hello, 

on the Online Documentation i got the information that i can perform a upgrade direct to the last Version of Confluence. 

So we use the EAR/WAR Installation, that will outdated on the Version 6. How i can handle the change from the lastest war installation to a normal Linux installation.

There are experiences here with a update from 4.3 to the Versions 5.x with out Problems?

All files are stored in a Postgres database that includes the Attachments.

On a test envoiment i have installed the linux Server installer, on the configuration i added a test database with a Dump from the Livesystem.

After i connected the database, but my problem is this database get deleted.

How i can add the dump to the fresh installation?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2015

Hi Michael,

There are experiences here with a update from 4.3 to the Versions 5.x with out Problems?

You shouldn’t face big issues, however, some plugins might not be supported. 

How i can add the dump to the fresh installation?

I suggest you to follow the steps below. It should work.

P.S.: I strongly suggest you to try this upgrade in a staging environment to avoid outages. 

1 Do a database dump from Confluence

2 Import the database dump to the staging Postgres

3 Copy the <Confluence-home> from your production server to the new server

4 Unzip Confluence 5.6.5

5 On the staging Confluence, change the IP address of database connection on the <Confluence-home>/confluence.cfg.xml to point to the new Postgres Server (make sure the access between Confluence and Postgres works).

6 Edit the file <Confluence-install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties and change the confluence.home variable to the path where you put the Confluence-Home that you copied before.

7 Start Confluence

8 Change the BaseURL on (Cog Icon > General Configuration > Edit) to a different name from your Confluence of production.

9 Make sure the Confluence is running properly (including the plugins)

Remember that we can face issue regarding the Wiki markup to XHTML format conversion which we may need to run the manual upgrade of the content https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migration+from+Wiki+Markup+to+XHTML-Based+Storage+Format#MigrationfromWikiMarkuptoXHTML-BasedStorageFormat-force_migrationRe-runningthemigration-forcontentthatcompletelyfailedthemigration. You can get more information about the upgrade through this documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence.

Also bear in mind that content like external plugins installed would need to be re-installed, since this information is stored inside the database and other related content could be need to first be tracked inside the DB too.

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

Michael January 16, 2015

Renato, many thanks i will take a look on it. Regards, Michael

1 vote
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2015

The easiest thing to do is move to the "standalone" version of Confluence.  Use the Confluence Standalone setup guide to hook it up to your existing database and the schema upgrade will happen.  You don't really need to worry about the X11 configuration stuff.  You could export the data to XML, but this really isn't necessary since modern versions of Confluence do an in-place upgrade.  Check the upgrade notes for the versions between 4.3 and the one you want to move to.  I don't believe you can go directly from 4.3 to the latest version.  I believe you need to do at least one interim upgrade, but this will be discussed in the upgrade notes.  Obviously, do this on a development system before touching your live production system and be sure you have a good backup of database and the Confluence home directory before upgrading prod.  I hope that helps.

Michael January 15, 2015

That works well with a server change?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events